All right, I give in: WTF is an AWB?

Pinnacle

Visit site
AWB.........Average White Boat as explained above. AWB is a generic reference to mass (factory) produced boats, usually in GRP, usually having bolt-on fin keels and spade rudders. Typical manufacturers are Jeanneau, Bavaria and Beneteau.

Critics say they are not "proper" boats and are not built strongly, while fans will say they give the typical owner everything he needs at a price he can afford. Charter companies use AWB's almost exclusively.

As always, the choice is yours (assuming you can afford a non AWB).

Lakesailor

Visit site
Ha! Yes - that was the other acronym I had in mind. No, I don't get that one either.

MAB Google results:

Muslim Association of Britain

Queen Mab off of Shakespeare

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mab

What if your AWB isn't white? If it was blue would it a BLAWB?

prv will be along soon to tell you

Average White Boat - just another identical white plastic lozenge with navy blue stackpack and roller genoa. Looks shiny at first, but turns out to be flimsy and not cope well with bad weather. Interior looks like the show home for a loft-living development, but as soon as the wind picks up you fall across the acres of laminate flooring and smash the chipboard galley lockers.

The alternative is a Manky Auld Boat - thirty years old, heavy, built strictly for sailing with onboard life an afterthought. Can look nice from the outside, but the inside is a damp hole complete with decades of questionable DIY modifications and a stink of spilled diesel and mildew that will cause instant seasickness even at its drying mooring (this boat probably doesn't do marinas). The galley is well suited to heating up tins of stew during a three-day gale, but there's no door to the toilet.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
It all started as a boaty version of UJM - Universal Japanese Motorcycle. This was used by motorcycle magazines in the 80's to describe the bikes coming from the big 4 Japanese manufacturers that were all very similar and bland.

Visit site
It all started as a boaty version of UJM - Universal Japanese Motorcycle. This was used by motorcycle magazines in the 80's to describe the bikes coming from the big 4 Japanese manufacturers that were all very similar and bland.

I remember Motorcycle magazines referring to Japanese bikes with contempt. Only British made long stroke bikes were any good.
How wrong they were.