A tour of marinas in Spain - where do you suggest I go?

PEJ

www.sealinesc38forsale.co.uk
I am planning a tour of mainland Spain to visit marinas for a possible move. I am planning to go in January because I want to see how "alive" the places are in winter.

Thinking about Gibraltar at one end to Sant Carles at the other.

I'd be grateful to anyone who can chip in with advice on which ones to visit and what is good about their suggested marina.

I have a 61ft boat. Looking to rent. Any indication of possible costs would be great.

On the list already, because of threads on here, is Alicante, Torrevieja and Sant Carles.

markc

Visit site
Between Torrevieja and Alicante is Santa Pola. It's an all year town and the marina has recently had a lot of investment. Marina is very close to Tarbeca Island. I had a house in the area for 12 years. The coast is not that interesting from a boating perspective - not many bays and anchoring 'nooks' , and very windy in the summer, especially in the afternoons. Our house was on the cliffs between Santa Pola and Alicante and I would spend many hours watching boats ploughing through the afternoon lumpyness. Lots of nice marinas though.

kashurst

Visit site
Almeria - small summer town - not much there. Deep bay with whales and dolphins in the area
Cartagena - big city, lots to see and do if you like Roman history. Anywhere else is at least 25 miles.
Cabo de Palos - very small fishing village, I once got a 50' boat in there for lunch. a bit of a squeeze.
Thomas Maestre -big marina just inside the Mar Menor. Very cheap to moor, lot of very big boats over winter there. But dead as a door nail outside of late June, early September. Some small marinas inside Mar Menor but mostly full and the towns close up for the winter. Mar Menor very good for day boating, messing about etc. Long drive from any airport as you have to go all the way around it.
Torre de Horadada - small marina, small summer town - has Parakeets in the palm trees,
Cabo Roig as above
Torrevieja - 3 marinas in a very big harbour. Town is busy now all year around, quite a busy place these days. The International Marina has just had all new pontoons and electrics etc. Marina Salinas is relatively new but a bit out of the way. I think there is a pool
Guardamar - small, not near anything, pretty dead even in the summer, full, they do sell fuel though.
Santa Pola -nice summer town, very smart marina, handy for Tarbaca Island for an easy day out. Nice beaches close by
Alicante -big city, very big marina, very interesting city for tourists, beaches, bars, restaurants, 15 mins from the airport in a Taxi
Villa Joyosa - small but pretty marina in a pretty location, quiet out of season
Altea -pretty town, nice marina 10 minute walk for the town centre, has a swimming pool, one of my favourites
Campomanes/Greenwich Marina, small bijou, ask PeteM for the best bars.
Calpe - nice marina, Calpe not great to stay in
Moraira - small, lovely, goes quiet in the winter and I think there is a 10 year waiting list.
Javea - nice marina, short walk to the town, some interesting bays close by, probably closest point to Ibiza
Denia - big marina, interesting town, castle worth a visit. Gets windy and it's exposed.
Ghandia - never been
Valencia - big new marina. long way for the main City.

Wind tends to come from the North East all along this coast, you get a sea breeze every afternoon from July to early September from @ 2-00pm until @ 7-00pm. So any of these bays with a sheltered North end make good places in the summer. Outside of the summer season the sea is often flat- really flat. Can be lovely September/October (still warm) and January/February (but chilly) March it rains a lot.

A 60' boat won't fit in the small Mar Menor Marinas, (easy anchoring with a ROCNA - lots of sea grass) or Cabo Roig,
If you get chance in January, go and have a look at the the Volvo Ocean Race museum behind Alicante Marina - make sure you see the big Video wall at the back.

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
We rented a house by Thomas Maestre a few years back in February. I can confirm it was totally dead, we were lucky to find 1 bar open in the evening.

We are now based in Altea, almost everywhere stays open all year round, with some of the best restaurants on the Costa Blanca. One of the best is just across the road from the marina entrance. And the bar and restaurant in the marina is very good. I fort the marina is expensive, I was quoted over £10k for a 48 footer, but I expect you can haggle.

Petem knows Campomanes, a large marina about 5 miles out of Altea. There are a few good restaurants there, but expect to pay roughly double compared to the Altea equivalents.

Calpe Marina is large and well sheltered and I believe, not too expensive. There are some of the best beaches around just a few minutes walk away. Unfortunately the selection of good restaurants is quite poor, although many do stay open all year round.

We like Javea, attractive seafront and a lovely beach at Arenal, about 2 miles along the seafront, where you’ll find most of the good restaurants.

I believe there are 3 different marinas in Denia, Deleted User spent some time there so is better qualified to comment on pros and cons. There is a good selection of restaurants both around the port and in the town.

Enjoy your search, lots to look at!

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Rosas and Empuriabrava up in the Costa Brava.

2nd that, it’s where I’m based and this is my cruising ground
EADD052-F-525-F-46-BC-AFDE-46-FA11-C50326.png

And if you’ve got the money in Empuriabrava you can park outside your house. Sadly not mine
3985-FC8-D-3946-4-B56-B8-D1-0-BB44585-EEEE.jpg

One of the Calais

89-E0-E880-BDEC-4-DEF-B4-DC-5499-F562-F748.jpg

Last edited:

MrB

Visit site
2nd that, it’s where I’m based and this is my cruising ground
EADD052-F-525-F-46-BC-AFDE-46-FA11-C50326.png

And if you’ve got the money in Empuriabrava you can park outside your house. Sadly not mine
3985-FC8-D-3946-4-B56-B8-D1-0-BB44585-EEEE.jpg

One of the calas

+1 for Roses/Rosas and Empuriabrava, wonderful place. Serviced by two airports one hour away, (Barcelona and one in France for the life of me I cannot remember the name) You can buy a house with a mooring at the bottom of the garden for a 32-48m boat (currently) for 2.7 mill or 2.2 mill for a house with a 22m mooring in Empuriabrava so compared to Antibes it's cheap!. It's Dali land too so plenty to see.:encouragement:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I think that’s the problem with much of the Spanish Med coast, it’s pretty boring. From what I’ve seen, the notable exception is Costa Brava where the scenery is stunning. But it is further north, so cooler in winter and subject to stronger winds.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Altea -pretty town, nice marina 10 minute walk for the town centre, has a swimming pool, one of my favourites
Campomanes/Greenwich Marina, small bijou, ask PeteM for the best bars.
Calpe - nice marina, Calpe not great to stay in
Moraira - small, lovely, goes quiet in the winter and I think there is a 10 year waiting list.

Petem knows Campomanes, a large marina about 5 miles out of Altea. There are a few good restaurants there, but expect to pay roughly double compared to the Altea equivalents.

I do indeed know Marina Greenwich / Compomanes. Not sure about the restaurants being double the cost of the ones in Altea, maybe +50%. @longjohnsilver I still don't understand how your friends managed to spend €140 for lunch, we normally spend half that (per couple) including lots of drinks! And we can get a large beer and a glass of Cava for €6 or so in the marina.

Anyhow, the area has some nice local cruising for very short trips and longer ones and the coastline is very attractive compared to further up the coast. and of curse, it's very convenient for Alicante airport (50 mins drive).

However, it's not that cheap, we pay around €7k per annum for a 10m berth. Mallorca / Ibiza would cost us around €10k and Torrevieja around €4k I think. Sant Carles is cheaper still. Personally, I think it's worth it. Note that maintenance, servicing, etc is good value compared to the Islands so there's a decent saving there.

kashurst

Visit site
I have considered moving further up the coast from Torrevieja to Altea or near by as it is much nicer coastline, Altea is pretty etc etc. However its a nice place to go in the boat @ 3 hours, with various places on route to make a bit of a trip if we want to. I looked into leaving the boat in Altea over the summer for a change, however I would have to do the trip about 6 times before the diesel cost matched the extra mooring costs. So for the time being Torrevieja it is and actually go boating and visit Altea etc for a few days.
I find the Costa Blanca mainland is good for boating if you have time to sit out those days in the summer when the weather is too windy. If you want to turn up for a week in July/August and go out every day and anchor etc, you can only really guarantee that inside the Mar Menor. Most people tend to go out in the morning and go somewhere and stay over, or they day boat and head back in @ 3-00pm.
PS if anyone os looking for mooring prices in the Alicante/Torrevieja area contact Navicularia yacht brokers - they do moorings as well, speak english etc etc (no connection, just always had very good service)

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
By all means come and see Sant Carles but like most it won't be particularly live in winter.
Much more alive than Cala dOr though,
It depends what you mean by "alive" though.
If you mean night clubs, Sant Carles doesn't really have any - well, there is one but I've never been inside and it wouldn't be open in the winter.
If you mean restaurants and bars, most of the restaurants close during the winter months but the bars and cafes are open.
The marina bar/restaurant is ALWAYS open.

If you want to be able to do some nice cruising and anchoring, the mainland doesn't offer much (I will be flamed for that statement) so IMO, it would be better to pick somewhere close to the islands. Denia would fit that bill well. Definitely add Denia to your list. Likewise all the other marinas round that part of the coast.

And then you have to consider airports.
You probably won't get the frequency of flights in the winter months as the ones that you currently enjoy in Mallorca.
Actually, Sant Carles is better than most - it is a 2 hour run to Barcelona but everything flies in/out of Barcelona.
I have just planned a week at the end of November and there were flights every day (some days two flights) from Bristol to Barcelona.

When we first "checked out" Sant Carles, we flew into Reus and out from Alicante.
And then did as you are planning - checked out all the marinas in between.
Nothing really jumped out at us and Sant Carles hadn't even been built - not even started building - just a swamp.
So, we took a gamble.
And we don't regret it.
We have made lots of friends - in fact, four of us are doing the trip at the end of November - a boys trip out to the boats - sharing a car from Barcelona for 18 euros for the week.
So, as a group, we will be going out to restaurants in and around Sant Carles but together so it doesn't matter if the town is alive or dead.
In fact, Sant Carles should still have quite a bit open at the end of Nov.

If you do visit Sant Carles and need somewhere to stay, the Miami Mar Hotel is the best in the area - 5 star quality at 2 star prices - the Miami Mar restaurant is superb and open all the year round - including Christmas and the New Year.

Anyway - good hunting.

Why the move from Mallorca?

Last edited:

jrudge

Visit site
Why the move from Mallorca?

I can't speak for PEJ but I am in Cala Dor also and planning to leave in May ( I said the same last year to be fair).

1. It is expensive. Not a problem per se but ....
2. It is now hassle. The island is anti tourist ( surprise surprise hotel rates are now falling as they don't have the occupancy - GOSH!)
3. Weed makes it hassle as well. The bays are more crowded and from Cala Dor the main attraction was the best Cala on the island 10 mins in each direction. Not really any more.
4. I have been there for about 7 years ands kids and I are bored. I have always done big tours before ( one summer was mainland, SOF. Corsica / Sardinia / Tunisia / Menorca / Mallorca) and I need to move!

The biggest biggest thing though it the combination of price and hassle - you can have one or the other but not both. Mallorca has a political party that wants tourists out, Not Air BNB, no weed anchoring ( whilst putting som much effluent into the sea when it rains the have to close the beaches) and this shows. At the moment the marinas are fuller than I have known - which puts prices up again. I cant see it will last. Maybe I am wrong

Hurricane

Visit site
I can't speak for PEJ but I am in Cala Dor also and planning to leave in May ( I said the same last year to be fair).

2. It is now hassle. The island is anti tourist ( surprise surprise hotel rates are now falling as they don't have the occupancy - GOSH!)
3. Weed makes it hassle as well. The bays are more crowded and from Cala Dor the main attraction was the best Cala on the island 10 mins in each direction. Not really any more.
4. I have been there for about 7 years ands kids and I are bored. I have always done big tours before ( one summer was mainland, SOF. Corsica / Sardinia / Tunisia / Menorca / Mallorca) and I need to move!

The biggest biggest thing though it the combination of price and hassle - you can have one or the other but not both. Mallorca has a political party that wants tourists out, Not Air BNB, no weed anchoring ( whilst putting som much effluent into the sea when it rains the have to close the beaches) and this shows. At the moment the marinas are fuller than I have known - which puts prices up again. I cant see it will last. Maybe I am wrong

So, where then?

I understand that you have youngsters to consider so a marina with swimming pool etc would be good.

You have travelled round most of our part of the Med - is there anything that appeals?

PEJ

Rosas and Empuriabrava up in the Costa Brava.

Yes, I have seen a lot of threads about this area and it looks lovely. I thought Gibraltar to Valencia(ish) because it was a distance that was doable and it is the most southerly part and I assume the weather is that bit nicer further south.

I might have to look at a longer trip or maybe an internal flight?

PEJ

Stop by my marina...Sotogrande...it's beautiful and I am about as far south as you can go which extends the season.

Cheap fuel in Gib is close by, easy cruise to Morrocco.

Coastline is not that great though.

Marina facilities are really nice...no full english breakfast's offered...so not sure if that's appealing or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BShzFEIygwo&feature=youtu.be

My full english is a slice of toast on the boat so no problem there!

Sotogrande looks nice but so does La Duquesa in the videos. Can you comment on La Duquesa vs Sotogrande ? What about inside Gibraltar itself? Again it looks nice on the videos I've seen.

PEJ

jrudge has hit the nail on the head.

The main reason is the expense - 36K euros next year. Followed by the weed hassle. Why can't the govt just put buoys down? Followed by a slight amount of itchy feet and curiosity for life elsewhere. Followed by the quietness of winter. Cala D'Or has only one restaurant open in winter though I believe it will be two this year.

Another small reason is that many of the mainland marinas I've have googled (like Sotogrande) seem to have nice long sandy beaches right next to them (i.e. just the other side of the breakwater) and we like nice stroll along the waters edge, something you can do all year round.

Last edited:

PEJ

When I was in Ocean Village, on the Solent, boating consisted of going to visit another marina overnight and chilling out there and going to the local attractions and restaurants. I looked at the grey cold sea in Osbourne Bay or even Studland and thought "I wish I could enjoy a swim in this water".

So the big attraction for Cala D'Or was the beautiful anchorages so nearby where you could laze about all day in the crystal clear waters. Having been there for a few years I find that days out at anchor are not that frequent and days just chilling on the boat or walking/driving to the beach are just similar in number.

So my secondary question to the mainlanders is this - is your boating more like my Solent experience i.e. more geared to going to other nearby marinas overnight and trying out their attractions than spending the day swimming off the boat at anchor?

capnsensible

Visit site
My full english is a slice of toast on the boat so no problem there!

Sotogrande looks nice but so does La Duquesa in the videos. Can you comment on La Duquesa vs Sotogrande ? What about inside Gibraltar itself? Again it looks nice on the videos I've seen.

Hiya, I spent a lot of years running a sailing school out of Gib but also spent a year during that time operating a Birchwood 50 something Motorboat from Estepona. Also have friends with a 60 foot motorboat that has been in Benelmadena for over ten years.

Sotogrande is a bit of an exclusive Marina, generally quiet but loved by those who moor there. Some great restaurants and a couple of late bars. Beach next door a bit pebbly.

La Duquesa and Estepona a lot more lively. The first is small and can be noisy in summer. Estepona is a fishing harbour too so lots of fb traffic.....and gulls! Great ashore though. Again beaches both side. I lived aboard in the Marina for a year some time ago and really enjoyed it.

Downside, can get very windy down towards the Straits. Pick the weather right and it's a great cruise over to Ceuta and Morocco. Also through the Straits to Cadiz and Portugal. Straits can often be bumpy but worth it.

Cheap fuel in Gib.

If you want details.... I'm three years out of date..... feel free to PM!