Liveaboard marinas on the southcoast UK

Tranona

Visit site
Wicor allow liveaboards according to their website.

Just out of interest - why do marinas not like liveaboards as long as people are respectful?
Primarily because they are not residential properties and planning permission is for effectively a parking lot for boats - plus of course in many cases shorebased businesses. While this was often ignored, the events surrounding covid highlighted the number of people living "illegally" on boats. Marinas can fill their berths in most cases without accepting liveaboards.

stranded

Visit site
Wicor allow liveaboards according to their website.

Just out of interest - why do marinas not like liveaboards as long as people are respectful?
Trouble is, (nearly) everyone is respectful when they are asking for something…

Individual liveaboards dotted around can be positive, but based on my experience in some European ports, liveaboard communities can be quite territorial and not notably respectful of “outsiders”. Short of evidence to the contrary in individual cases, I would put the existence of such communities on the “rough” side of the scale when making a choice.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Trouble is, (nearly) everyone is respectful when they are asking for something…

Individual liveaboards dotted around can be positive, but based on my experience in some European ports, liveaboard communities can be quite territorial and not notably respectful of “outsiders”. Short of evidence to the contrary in individual cases, I would put the existence of such communities on the “rough” side of the scale when making a choice.
Never having been a live aboard but I encountered several when berthed in Plymouth Yacht Haven several years ago that was not my experience, I found them to be friendly and open to the extent of invites to pontoon BBQs etc.

capnsensible

Visit site
Never having been a live aboard but I encountered several when berthed in Plymouth Yacht Haven several years ago that was not my experience, I found them to be friendly and open to the extent of invites to pontoon BBQs etc.
Agree. During our 23 almost years of living aboard our yacht, we generally found that with a shared interest in yachts n boats, our like minded neighbours were mostly great.

I suppose things have changed in the UK now with liveaboards. 25 years ago we and others were welcome in Haslar Marina.

ashtead

Visit site
A number of those which appear to spend a lot of time at Haslar marina are members of Haslar Yacht club which h has a website and might be a source of useful info for anyone contemplating a stay/visit