Inboard or Outboard on Fletcher 19GTS/O

andyjcox1

Visit site
Hi all,

I am new to this and wondered if anyone could shed any light on my dilemma.

I am looking at buying a Fletcher 19GTS or GTO, and need some info on running costs as it makes quite a difference to what boat I go for. I have been told that a 100hp 4 stroke outboard will be alot cheaper on fuel and quieter to run compared to a 4.2 Mercruiser EFI Petrol inboard. I like the fact the inboard gives you a full bathing platform, but does anyone know roughly how much more expensive it will be on petrol (if it is) for say a day out cruising and an hour or so skiing?

Thanks for any help, Andy

landlockedpirate

Visit site
I have the 4.3l in my Fletcher. At cruising speeds (22-25kts) it does about 8gph. At WOT (40kts) its a lot more thirsty 16gph. For messing about, skiing, towing ringos etc I find the tank lasts all day.

The outboard version will be more economical, its a lot lighter for a start (Around 500kg) but you do loose the full platform and the ability to carry and inflated tender.

I would be happy with either version, but I would suggest that a 100hp outboard should be the minimium you want.

AquapartPhil

www.aquapart.co.uk
Hi Andy,
I agree with Marks comments, Inboards are lovely to own (nicer lines etc) and they generally fetch a bit more money than the equivalent outboard when you come to sell, however they generally need more maintenance than outboards because at best they are a compromise in that they are a marinised automotive engine coupled to half an outboard with all the associated mechanical issues, ie, taking the drivetrain from horizontal to vertical via the input shaft etc and allowing the drive to turn and tilt via universal joints whilst running, (plus keeping all that dry).
Don't be put off by all this, I love inboards and make a living selling spares for them, but an outboard was designed from the ground up to hang off the back of a boat and not be offended by all that water, so If you are quite handy with a grease gun (occasionally) get an inboard and enjoy it, If not get an outboard and forget it, (100hp min on that boat).

Hope this is some help
Phil (PS Just My opinion)

andyjcox1

Visit site
Thanks guys, that has been helpful. I still can't decide but I now know that the inboard won't break the bank as long as I don't spend all day at 40, which is unlikely. It would also be better to have a full bathing platform so my dog can get onboard without the outboard obstacle to negotiate.

Thanks again, Andy

oGaryo

Visit site
just a suggestion... you may wish to compare the fuel economy of the 3.0l inboard versus the 4.3 too? I have the 3.0lt 145hp in mine and got it on the plane to cruise easily enough at between 25 & 30knts with 4 adults on board (11st, 13st, 14st and a rather rotund 17st chap:)), full tank + a load of gear... I need to sort a prop issue too. Not the most refined of engines but easy to maintain and repair.

Have googled these stats comparing the engines:

Gallons per hour (Cruise)
3.0 L 4 Cyl 3.5
4.3L V6 5.5
5.0L V8 8.5
5.7L V8 10

mind you, the same website recommends a 4.3 for a boat of this weight!

lovezoo

www.myspace.com
I would have thought a 100hp engine on that boat would be a little on the underpowered side. The 4.3EFI (which I've got) has 210hp, which is a big difference and good for 50mph. I use around 25 litres of fuel on an afternoon out, including a bit of kneeboarding or ringoing - of course you can use a lot more than that if you try.

Don't be put off by the servicing issue - its a very easy motor to service and only takes a few hours. All it needs is an oil change (engine and leg), oil and filter changes and a few squirts with a grease gun. You are also need to check the engine alignment, but you need a special tool for that, otherwise its all straightforward DIY. There are other longer term servicing issues with the inboard engine, including changing the outdrive bellows and the exhaust manifolds and it would be wise to budget for that if the boat you are looking at hasn't had them done recently.

Great boat BTW - I've had mine for 5 years and still enjoying it.

andyjcox1

Visit site
Based on everyone's comments, I think I will go for the 4.3 inboard, as it's nice to have the power if you want it, and it seems like a good compromise with fuel economy.

Thanks for all the info, just got to buy the boat now.

Andy

landlockedpirate

Visit site
I'm not sure where you are in the country, but I am thinking of selling Aquilla to buy a Fletcher 25.

CIMG0008-1.jpg

Its got the 4.3 that you are after as well. Send me a PM if you are interested (Or would just like a look/advice)

oGaryo

Visit site
just seen this (no connection).. recognise you're after a 4.3 version but at a little under £10K for a 2004 boat with new engne and leg fitted in 2008 + RYA course thrown in by the look of it, seems a good buy to me so long as everything else is up to scratch with the boat and trailer.. they've reduced it significantly so maybe even up for a lower offer for an urgent sale!

http://www.porthdaniel.co.uk/boat_sales.html

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/PDL104

Last edited:

jimboooo

Visit site
i have owned two boats of simular sizes 19 and 20 feet . my opinion is , i sold my inboard engined boat and bought one with a 4 stroke outboard . so far it has been more reliable , quieter , same ish on fuel only inboard was 3ltr 135 horse outboard 150 . . for me the noise reduction ,reliablity etc far outways the bathing platform . talk to some marine engineers all the ones i have talked to would go for the outboard , but i guess personal preference comes into it