Coffee Machine

Stingo

Visit site
Now that I'm a full time liveaboard again, I've had to sacrifice my 220v espresso coffee machine. With utter ignorance, I've just bought a bottle Nescafe Instant shyte! Two questions:
  • How do people manage to drink that awful, awful, tasteless crap? I might have to nip off to rinse my mouth out and brush my ivories.
  • How do you make your kick-arse, mega strong coffee? I think I had a cafetiere on the old Stingo, but that was over eight years ago, and my memory is as bad as the Nescafe Instant.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Now that I'm a full time liveaboard again, I've had to sacrifice my 220v espresso coffee machine. With utter ignorance, I've just bought a bottle Nescafe Instant shyte! Two questions:
  • How do people manage to drink that awful, awful, tasteless crap? I might have to nip off to rinse my mouth out and brush my ivories.
  • How do you make your kick-arse, mega strong coffee? I think I had a cafetiere on the old Stingo, but that was over eight years ago, and my memory is as bad as the Nescafe Instant.
Stingo, I would get a cafeter, the metal variety as the glass is as britle as he'll. Advantage is that the are insulated as well. Get strong ground coffee bags and experiment how much and what brand.... far better than the dreaded nescafe , which makes you breath smell, and very practical for a boat. You can have very strong coffee this way

The Q

Visit site
Wouldn't know how to make your espressos on board..
One gives me the shakes, several would put me in hospital..

jdc

Visit site
A Bialetti (as pictured by Clancy Moped) is the business. Known to an Italian friend who comes sailing with me as 'la machinetta' - diminutive as it's not a proper 'machina del cafe'.

PS: People who drink espresso live longer than those who abstain. Probably because you have to be feeling robust to do so rather than it bringing actual health benefits. Red wine ditto.

Sea Change

Visit site
Another vote for the aeropress. Good coffee, simple, little mess.

If you want a good espresso (ie pressured), the nanopresso does a good job (IMHO).

Wacaco | Nanopresso | Versatile Portable Espresso Maker

I'm not really a coffee snob, though, despite what my family tells me. They have no idea what the real aficionados get up to!
I'm not a coffee drinker, but SWMBO cannot function without it. She tried the aeropress and was not impressed at all. However the nanopresso has been a big success and is a suitable replacement for her Nespresso machine.

Zing

Visit site
I own a lot of the options. A bean to cup machine (on land), a cafetière, a percolator, a filter cone, an aeropress, a nespresso. They are all fine. This is what I have settled on for the boat:

CLEVER Dripper (Clear).

What this allows me to do is to brew the coffee for 4 or 5 minutes before putting it in the mug. That gets a lot of flavour out, much like a cafetière. I buy mild to medium roasts as with dark roasts the long brew time makes a bitter cup. It takes negligible time to make, there is no mess, no cleaning and no bits in your mug or teeth.

Boathook

Visit site
@Stingo Drink tea. A quality brand teabags produces a good mug full or better still lose tea in teapot.

When I drink coffee it is from a cafetiere and on board I sometimes use bean and a handgrinder rather that already ground coffee.