Zebu Aground Holyhead

pvb

Visit site
Well, Zebu is going to be scrapped. They're starting by craning the masts off, then will break the rest of it up.

Stricken ship 'set to be dismantled' off Holyhead as bad weather approaches

1_DPP_DPW_180521ZebuCranes_1JPG.jpg

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I hear the PS Ryde is looking for a 'champion', or maybe the Wingfield Castle. :ROFLMAO:
At least they are British.. A fine historic case for conversion to ecofriendly flux hybrid electro propulsion!
(The Ryde is collapsing into itself quite fast, there won't be anything recognisable in a couple of years. Although I am assured by a local caulkhead engineer that the engines are still in her. They ought to be in a museum.)

Last edited:

penfold

Visit site
There's a surfeit of surplus paddlesteamer engines, I'm not sure another set is worth preserving; the engine out of the PS Caledonia(she was scrapped after being gutted by fire in the 1980s) is in a shed at Hollycombe Steam museum.

burgundyben

Visit site
At least they are British.. A fine historic case for conversion to ecofriendly flux hybrid electro propulsion!
(The Ryde is collapsing into itself quite fast, there won't be anything recognisable in a couple of years. Although I am assured by a local caulkhead engineer that the engines are still in her. They ought to be in a museum.)

I walked around Ryde a few days back, as you say, she is crumbling fast. An old chum of mine's ex girlfriends father built Island Harbour, it was him that put Medway and Ryde there.

pvb

Visit site
The plot thickens! According to Zebu's Facebook page, the plan is to rescue the ship, starting by removing as much weight as possible. There's also a comment that the owner and his son have medical concerns at home, whatever that means.

Tall Ship Zebu

chrishscorp

Visit site
There are a lot of obsolete vessels unused and decaying when you look around.

We need to be realistic about what we actually want to preserve.

As an Island race we have a long and glorious maritime history, its right we preserve some of it, I agree we do need to be selective, if anyone is passing this one is worth a visit.

Landing craft tank LCT 7074

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Aided by a couple of hundred grand from the tax on the stupid...
I'm quite curious how all that money got spent on the Zebu. Do the Community Interest type groups have to publish the accounts, I wonder... it doesn't seem to be on the Zebu pages.

pvb

Visit site
I'm quite curious how all that money got spent on the Zebu. Do the Community Interest type groups have to publish the accounts, I wonder... it doesn't seem to be on the Zebu pages.

The CIC accounts can be seen on the Companies House website. However, their accounts for the year to Jan 2020 are overdue. Accounts for the year to Jan 2019 don't include the profit and loss account, and show a net liability of £2000. The fixed assets were valued at £1681. Doesn't reveal very much, as you perhaps expected.