You're all thick!

AuntyRinum

Visit site
You\'re all thick!

I was involved in the sail past at Trafalgar 200.
We rehearsed the day before and had excellent written instructions. All went well at the rehearsal. The Ice Patrol Ship HMS Endurance, that HMQ would be on, sailed out, we did a sail past and there were few problems.
We returned the next day to do it for real.
As the sail past fleet approached HMS Endurance there were RIBs making a cordon around her and a police launch displaying the following written notice:

"Keep 400 metres away from the red ship".

Red ship? Didn't they think we would understand the words HMS Endurance? Do they think we're all thick?
I think that they do and it was a good insight into how the authorities regard recreational sailors.

landaftaf

Visit site
Re: You\'re all thick!

maybe they thought some weekend sailors couldnt read the red ships name at 400 meters, but had more chance in passing the colour test.

cozy

Visit site

Speaking as a member of an organisation widely viewed as one of the authorities, although not actually involved in Traf200, I would like to assure you that is generally not the case. Rather than just raise your concern here, how about feeding your views back to them? They may provide an explanation that either supports or disproves landaftaf's theory.

AuntyRinum

Visit site

"how about feeding your views back to them? "

I didn't take it that seriously. Just found it amusing. I don't mind if they do that. They were obviously making sure that there were no problems and getting their message across to whoever they thought didn't realise that the ship we were there to sail past was the "red" one.
Does anyone else have a similar story?