your opinion/advice No 3.

MLBURGE

Visit site
Your help please,

I am in the early stages of starting my own business that I intend to have running by the end of the year. My business will be the manufacture of high quality products specifically for marine applications.

I am at present researching how well my componants would sell in the marine environment and this is where i ask for your help.
Could you please let me know which of the following componants would most interest as a boat owner and which would not, for whatever reason. This is by no means an advert so I ask if you could think of them on a general basis and not necessarily specifically for your boat.

1. grp raked radar arch can be lowered and fit boats 25-33ft ?
2. grp upright radar arch " " " ?
3. grp raked yard high mast can be lowered and provisons for fixing radar&lights..
4. grp one and two tier boarding steps with lockable compartment and lockable to pontoon 'without causing damage,
5. grp rectangular and oval tables can take four plates and universally fit to production legs.

If you have no time to write a message then could you just type what numbers you think are usefull and which are not.

I have already had some useful replies from the other forums and from what i have seen it looks a good idea to produce a range of grp componants for specific makes and models of boat such as arches,seating,bathing platforms etc. Also it seems a self contained vented gas locker with lockable lid would prove to be popular.

If you have any comments or suggestions then please let me know.

Your time, personal opinion and any input is very valuable to me and very much appreciated.

Thanks....

tcm

Visit site
hm. I think making marine GRP things is a bit hard work, and then having to sellem. Cos everyone with a few quid to burn already has those things that you plan to make.

However, i wd be up for a big black-painted lump of engine-shaped GRP that plops over a 5hp outboard with decals that says "300HP Z-Injection ProDrive TTi" for £60 quid. Alright, 70 quid.

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
Not sure about the GRP arches. I take it you're aiming them at powerboats, as I can't see them working for many yachts of the size range you mention- if they were low enough to be below the boom and not look out of proportion, they'd be so low you'd keep hitting your head on it.

I wouldn't be interested in the boarding steps, as I'd rather give up sailing than own a yacht with topsides high enough to require them.

The tables sound a reasonable idea.

But what really sounds good is the gas locker. If its large enough to hold 2 bottles, I'll buy one. Can I have a discount for being your 1st customer? ;-)

pvb

Visit site
You need to do some careful research...

You're committed to "high quality" products, but I wonder whether you've researched the tooling costs involved? Radar arches in particular are very complex mouldings, and would need to be really high quality. Personally, I think radar arches are probably a non-starter, mainly due to the many size variations required.

Your idea of steps, etc, is a possibility. I'm sure you're aware of the huge range of steps and storage boxes made by <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dockbox.com>Better Way Products</A> in the USA. They seem to be very well made and, judging by the West Marine catalogue, they're quite attractively priced. Could be worth doing some costings based on their product features.