YM going digital

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
An e-mail message from YM came in today (for subscribers) indicating free digital access to YM + 145 back issues is now available. Positive news on the face of it :)
Thanks for the tip off. My YW sub was via Santa. Will ask her if she's had an e mail, that might be to my advantage. Last time I looked, the digital sub cost more than the physical (which seemed a bit crazy). Good news if one sub now 'rules them all.' Digi would be more convenient, during the summer, when we're on the move.

Sandydog2

Visit site
Sounds as if they have signed their own death certificate.

Why subscribe?

It will be a loss to us all - at the mercy of UTubers with no editorial control.

Jonathan
They will be getting paid. Either library lending fees for every checkout or a flat amount for making it available. Given the savings of not having to print a glossy colour magazine it may be quite lucrative for them.

I have a sister who is an author. A very substantial part of her income is from library payments for paper books and ebooks. She makes very little from sales of books as they are so heavily discounted by book sellers. Sometimes as little as 20p per sale for a recently published paperback.

Yachting Monthly and PBO have both been available from libraries for years.

lustyd

Visit site
It's been a long time since I've seen either mag in a shop anyway with the exception of Port Solent Tesco for some reason.

It will be a loss to us all - at the mercy of UTubers with no editorial control.
How controlled do you think the mags have been recently? I find YouTube content to be incredibly high quality in many instances, while the articles in the mags for the most part seem either to be repeated content, or created out of an obligation to produce a page once a month. I buy a copy now and then but very rarely find anything of value that I want to read.

Realistically print magazines are a dead format, with various Internet platforms taking over for the majority of the population. Instagram, Etsy, YouTube, Facebook all have their niche and everything you'd need is there and available and usually without cost. If I want to know how to replace an impeller a video of someone doing it on my engine model is a thousand times better than written words and a couple of photos of a generic engine. Same with sewing a sprayhood or filling a hole in the deck and making a deck grip mould from scratch. If I want to know what it's like to sail into A Coruña it's very reassuring to see a video of the whole process. If I want to know what it's like to have my rudder bitten by an Orca printed words don't really do it justice.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
IF your YM, PBO or YW (physical edition) subscription was a gift, particularly if it was set up by phone (v’s on line), you may need the assistance of help@magazinesdirect.com. To access the ‘free’ digital editions.

I had been unable to access the complimentary digital edition, until the e mail address associated with the subscription was altered by the help desk. All they needed was the subscription number.

Another possible barrier to ‘free’ login was that I’d previously taken advantage of digital subscription deals via iTunes (rather than MagazinesDirect). On iOS (don’t know about Android) the app can only be logged in to one or t’other. I therefore had to delete the app & reinstall, to gain access to the MagazinesDirect offer.

Worth noting that, once the registered e mail address is changed, and you are logged out of any previous iTunes subs, the login password, for MagazinesDirect, is NOT the promo code. It is a separate password, set up on an account registration form, which is linked in the instructions. These are e mailed out by the helpdesk, when they confirm the e mail address change.

Hope that helps someone. Off to brew an extra strong pot of coffee!

Last edited:

samfieldhouse

Visit site
I pay £9.99 a month for Readly.
On the sailing front it includes YM, PBO, Sailing Today, Yachting World, Classic Boat. Then there’s all the railway mags, car mags, BBC content…. It’s an incredible bargain.

Boathook

Visit site
I pay £9.99 a month for Readly.
On the sailing front it includes YM, PBO, Sailing Today, Yachting World, Classic Boat. Then there’s all the railway mags, car mags, BBC content…. It’s an incredible bargain.
I get it all for free through the library app (Libby) plus books. Got to have a local library 'account.

magicol

Visit site
I too access all these magazines through our local library system, Libby. As others have said, the publishers will be paid but also the number of views will be recorded which will help them with future advertising revenue. It also increases the use of local libraries at a time when councils are putting their continued existence under intense scrutiny because of financial pressures.
Everybody wins!