YM and UK Marina costs.

AndrewB

Visit site
April's YM couldn't have been better timed, arriving just with the annual renewal fee from Dover Marina, due April 1st.

I was down in Dover this morning and spoke to a couple of yachts that were pulling out. They've both decided to move to Calais as a result of the information in YM's article. Other yachts are also not renewing and could follow.

So congratulations YM and Dick Durham, specially on your timing. These are first results for your campaign, and it is good to see you firmly behind yachtsmen on this.

G

Did they mention Gravelines? It is cheaper than Calais, and much better facilities for laying up. And it's less far to the draught Leffe

William Cooper

AndrewB

Visit site
No they didn't mention Gravelines, some secrets are worth keeping.

Calais is good though. They've done a massive amount of work this winter in particular renovating the lock so that it will open far more often each tide, also improving the marina facilities a fair bit. There seems to be enormous amounts of Eurodosh sloshing around in Pas de Calais for these major capital renovation projects just now, and all 6 marinas in the area seem to be benefitting. True, YM exaggerated the price difference, but only slightly.

S

Skyva_2

Our motor boat neighbours at Hythe are off to Cherbourg for the summer - cost about £600 for 7 months for a 28 footer. Makes you think.

Keith

peterb

Visit site
Maybe we should think ourselves lucky. Browsing round Darling Harbour, Sydney, Oz, last week I noticed the mooring fees at the small marina. Roughly £40 for a 10m boat overnight. And that for a marina with virtually no services and with a 15 m bridge over its approach.

G

Katoema is based on the West coast of France, and has been there for 13 years. I gave the YM article to the harbour authorities here. They have a number of British registered boats at the marina and they say that a vast number of British owners moan of their charges. They get water, electricity included and the lovely hot showers are free too! 40ft equates to 1500 Euros (£900). You can't please everyone...