Yesterday at Marlow

Big John

Visit site
Yesterday, while Shiplake Lock was on self service a narrow boat came out and a rowing coach, completely ignoring us, closed the gates against us and raised the level with the lock empty so that he could get a couple of rowing eights through more quickly. I spoke to him and he apologised, saying that he hadn't seen me, but it is an example of the fact that they seem to be completely ignorant of other river users and their requirements.

Private boat owners do the same if they can get away with it.

No Regrets

Visit site
Could TMBA be of help, there is a page on the web site where you can write up any "wrong doings" and it will be taken up directly with the EA. The more that join the bigger the voice.

Sorry mate, but I'm not attacking Rowers, I'm trying to talk directly with them and to meet them to sort this out in a fun way. :encouragement:

Visit site
pissing in the wind. rowers row without looking where they are going, then complain like f uck when they nearly hit you (not all of course)
whether its marlow, Henley, shiplake,Windsor,oxford,Wallingford. good luck

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Pissing in the wind just about covers it.:)

I can remember stand up rows around Oxford in the early 80's between rowers and the then co owner of Osney Boatyard.Wow they could be good 'uns,he took no prisoners!!

I tend to smile and wave as recommended on here,that really winds them up and if they are rude I suggest the lake at Dorney has no waves,that usually sends them apoplectic :)

oldgit

Visit site
My most interesting encounter on the Thames with a rower was up at Henley.Due to it being a bit busy another boat had moored along side me.
Rower ran into the boat and proceeded to loudly curse all and sundry about it being their fault.
Replied that he ought to tell somebody who gave a **** !
Attitude of some rowers can be boorish but if nobody has bothered to inform them of the problems they may unwittingly cause,how can they change. ?

No Regrets

Visit site
Two options.

1/ Do nothing.

2/ Do something.

I suggest I will be more successful doing 2/

Bear in mind there are people who are too stubborn to change. You can't fix these people, but if generally we can improve things, it's a good start, and may even rub off on others after a while.

DWT

Visit site
Two options.

1/ Do nothing.

2/ Do something.

I suggest I will be more successful doing 2/

Bear in mind there are people who are too stubborn to change. You can't fix these people, but if generally we can improve things, it's a good start, and may even rub off on others after a while.

A bit of understanding on both sides is needed here and talking to them is the best approach. About three years ago I reported on a similar problem with a regatta at Reading. Each year since there have been more marshalls giving information to boaters, shouting a very loud thank you to the boats slowing down and placing one Marshall on Caversham bridge directing the rowers turning at the end of the course to ensure they do not come into conflict with other river users.

I have to give them great credit for their approach and whilst restricting the river in the way they do will always create challenges it demonstrates how regatta organisers can adapt

Good luck NR in your discussions.

No Regrets

Visit site
Early discussions are very encouraging!

I have an awareness program drafted out, which has been agreed in principle by both Bray CC and Marlow RC.

It will consist of us meeting each other en masse, and sampling each others boats, thus learning what each others boats strengths and weaknesses are, and each others vulnerabilities in terms of visibity, effect on wind, current and wash, thus imparting knowledge, understanding and after meeting each other in a fun way, creating a few new friendships along the way.

I'm sure this will minimise both physical issues, and remove most of the friction between us, which is a good start. I'm going to report to the ATYC with the results and comments from participants to see if they will further the program up and down the river, as they are the best placed organisation to do this.

It's definitely worthwhile, and cost is practicaly zero to everyone involved.

Visit site
Early discussions are very encouraging!

I have an awareness program drafted out, which has been agreed in principle by both Bray CC and Marlow RC.

It will consist of us meeting each other en masse, and sampling each others boats, thus learning what each others boats strengths and weaknesses are, and each others vulnerabilities in terms of visibity, effect on wind, current and wash, thus imparting knowledge, understanding and after meeting each other in a fun way, creating a few new friendships along the way.

I'm sure this will minimise both physical issues, and remove most of the friction between us, which is a good start. I'm going to report to the ATYC with the results and comments from participants to see if they will further the program up and down the river, as they are the best placed organisation to do this.

It's definitely worthwhile, and cost is practicaly zero to everyone involved.

get them to look where they are going, half way there then.

No Regrets

Visit site
get them to look where they are going, half way there then.

Well this is going to be one of the points of discussion. We need to impress on the Rowing teams and coaches that Motorboats cannot always stop or change direction to accomodate other vessels in our path.

Hopefully once we demonstrate the fact a ten tonne boat doesn't handle like a Mini Cooper, and they understand this, they will know why they need to keep vigilant.

Similarly, once we have taken a ride in a Rowing boat, more people will understand how difficult it is to row and look, we will also understand that it's not always going to be the case.

The main thing is, both parties will have a better understanding of the others needs, and be a bit more sympathetic, thus reducing friction.

Its going to be much harder to treat people indifferently when you have met them anyway...

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
I think a man in the front of the boat with a gun is still a good solution

_83057826_027260715.jpg

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32777018

Chris_d

Visit site
Well this is going to be one of the points of discussion. We need to impress on the Rowing teams and coaches that Motorboats cannot always stop or change direction to accomodate other vessels in our path.

Hopefully once we demonstrate the fact a ten tonne boat doesn't handle like a Mini Cooper, and they understand this, they will know why they need to keep vigilant.

Similarly, once we have taken a ride in a Rowing boat, more people will understand how difficult it is to row and look, we will also understand that it's not always going to be the case.

The main thing is, both parties will have a better understanding of the others needs, and be a bit more sympathetic, thus reducing friction.

Its going to be much harder to treat people indifferently when you have met them anyway...

Blimey go away for a week and someone has hacked No Regrets login, this sounds very different to the NR at the start of the thread.

This sounds like a good idea and i look forward to seeing a picture of NR in a scull cursing every passing cruiser.

No Regrets

Visit site
Look guys, I'm as nasty as you all can be at times, but we all need to look forwards rather than backwards!! :p

In reality, I want to see the Rower vs Mobo thing changing. It involves a few compromises, but has to be the only way forward unless your name is Kim Jong Un... (In which case Mlines post is great! ;))

I would love see this episode closed for a few years, for the sake both of us! :encouragement:

...and yes, that may involve a few personal sacrifices :nonchalance:

Big John

Visit site
Latest Harbour Master Notice. Same weekend as The Magna Carta River Pageant, this will be interesting. I realise it may only be a problem Saturday morning BUT.

"Marlow Reach
Bisham Abbey to Higginson Park
Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th June 2015 09.00 to 17.00
Marlow Town Regatta
Directions for navigation and general information during this event:
 The Navigation channel shall be established on the Berkshire side of the river.
 Racing boats will be using a buoyed channel in the centre of the River, there will be a small channel on the Buckinghamshire side of the River for racing boats to embark/disembark and row upstream to the start line.
 Regatta boards will mark the upstream and downstream extent of the course.
 Masters of all boats to maintain a safe speed and lookout between Bisham Abbey and Higginson Park.
 All boats must be navigated in accordance with any instructions given from Environment Agency control points or patrol launches.
 Those in charge of boats should be aware that they are responsible for avoiding collision and should use all available means appropriate to the circumstances and conditions to decide if there is a risk of immediate danger and avoid it.
 Bathing is not allowed in the river on the course during the hours of racing.
Andrew Graham
Harbourmaster
7th May 2015"

Last edited: