Yarmouth this Saturday

jon_bailey

www.cerberusstorage.co.uk
Does anyone know how easy it is likely to be finding a mooring in Yarmouth harbour if I do not arrive until 18:00 hrs. I've only got a small one (21 ft Sportsboat) and understand that there may be moorings on the Sandhard Pontoon.

We have a night away from the kids and it will be my wife's first overnighter so i'm trying to impress. (Already booked Sian-Elins).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

tcm

Visit site
Re: How to book at Yarmouth

You can't book aherad at yarmouth....unless you're a yacht club. So, best thing is to invent a nice yacht club or rally and you're all coming along! Ringem days or much better- weeks ahead. There are (minimum) four of you, all in 23 footers, and you'll be there at 1800, name of the Bailey Irish Cream Rally or er whatever. Then the wife rings up an hour or so later and says that shes's from the Bailey Irish Cream rally too! Confirm on the friday and on the saturday, then 5pm you call to say that one of them's had a blowup of whatever, anyway, you'll be there soon. Make sure you have a flag or summink to look a bit rally-ish, and when the little men turn up on boat, announce that you're with the rally and have they all turned up yet?

Also "The George" is the place really. What's this Sian Elins - is it a curry house?

nicho

Visit site
Jon - The harbour staff are very good and will almost always find you a berth. At 18.00 however, things may be tight, especially if there is a "legitimate" rally in the harbour. You may have to raft up against something (usually of the same size). Telephone in advance to see if there is an unusual influx of boats expected - you cannot book however. The Wheatsheaf Inn does reasonable and cheap meals. Good luck

jon_bailey

www.cerberusstorage.co.uk

I like the name of the rally and find it difficult to believe just how inventive and devious some of you guys are. Unfortunately I could never be that well organised.

I've never been to Yarmouth before but Sian-Elins is recommended on the Pub and Bar and Restaurants section of the forum so I hope it is good. It says seafood but have no idea where Sian-Elins comes from. Perhaps it was another of those fictitious rallies!

What's the George like?

G

Depends on the weather, largely. Mid week you're fine in Yarmouth, but Saturday nights is tough. We were there last week at 5.30 ish and it was all full, but it was a nice sunny weekend. This weekend says cloudy, so you may be OK. Where are you launching from? It may be worth phoning ahead before you set off. Otherwise, try Lymington...

duncan

Visit site

So how did the trip go then? I popped over on Saturday afternoon and Yarmouth was filling up pretty quickly.
Saw Sian_Elins right on the Quay - looked nice but I settled for a few beers before running back to Poole.
Nice weather for the trip.