Yanmar 4HLA cold start procedure - how?

Ripster

Visit site
I have a Yanmar 4hla-stzp in as Monterey 250. What procedure do owners with these engines use for cold starting (winter) The manual says, if fitted use the air heater which is operated by turning the ign key in the op direction for 15 secs - I have tried this, the key has the position, but nothing "appears" to happen (no noises or lights) otherwise I just turn the key in the correct direction and after about 7 - 10 revolutions it fires up.

I sort of think that the optional air heater may not be fitted and its just a question of cranking until she fires - there appear to be no "glow-plugs" as such like on my old Nanni - which fired instantly using these.... does this sound correct for Yanmar starting?

makkers

www.makkers.com
Mine was a little latent from a reallycold start but now I just pump the lever forward once, turn ignition on count to 15, start and away she goes - usually with puff of smoke!

Ripster

Visit site
Makkers, with your method, which I am going to try how many turns does it normally take before she goes. Mine also puffs a little smoke on starting too - but this clears immediately.

makkers

www.makkers.com
Generally 2-4 turns - see how you get on. If it hasn't run for a while i.e a month or more the yanmar can be a bit lumpy after starting whilst the oil and everything circulates, but being all metal and mechanics it will keep on going and going.

In the warmer months it will start almost on the first click.