Yanmar 2gm20f oil levels

ionian

Visit site
Crankcase oil level
High and low level marks look a long way apart 68mm and do not resemble the images in operator manual. I wonder if this is not correct stick for engine.
Gearbox oil level

Dipstick has one engraved ring close to bottom of stick but has been filled well above this level looking at the tide mark

Attachments

• 20220802_113144.jpg
    20220802_113144.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220802_100432(0).jpg
    20220802_100432(0).jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 22

Martin&Rene

Visit site
That looks similar to my engine dipstick. When you change the oil, weigh how much oil you pump out, then you know roughly how much to put back in.

That is where about, I fill my saildrive. If you have difficulty accessing the saildrive filler, the use a hydroponic syringe with a piece of tubing attached.

VicS

Visit site
Crankcase oil level
High and low level marks look a long way apart 68mm and do not resemble the images in operator manual. I wonder if this is not correct stick for engine.
Gearbox oil level

Dipstick has one engraved ring close to bottom of stick but has been filled well above this level looking at the tide mark
Dont overfill the gear box

1659556049169.png 1659556168923.png

robbieg

Visit site
Re the gearbox you check it with the threads on top of the fitting (not screwed in). Hence when you screw it in the oil level sits higher on the dipstick than the mark. Most of the GM gearboxes I have dealt with have similar oil stains on the gearbox stick so looks normal to me. Checking the oil which is light coloured against the dipstick can be a challenge. I normally try and lift it quickly and lay it on a bit of toilet paper or similar so the oil leaves a mark on the paper and so helps show the level.

For the engine dipstick the marks looks quite normal. Remember the sump capacity is quite small so the distance between the upper and lower level is probably a couple of pints which is quite a bit of the overall oil capacity from memory.

Martin&Rene

Visit site
I bought my 2003 Hanse 341 in 2009 and one of the "men that do" helped me with the first engine service and said the YANMAR saildrive manual is ambiguous/incorrect, so do not overfill. My manual says "inserting the dipstick as fa as possible" but then shows a sketch with the cap sitting on top of the threads. My original dipstick has a metal dipstick 30mm long with 2 marks on it, one 12mm from the cap and the other 26mm down. The instruction is the oil should reach the upper mark, ie the 12mm mark. Given a casting thickness of say around 6mm, that leaves a very small air gap. The diagram by VicS zeems to make more sense and would probably leave oil stains like picture once the cap is screwed in.

I have never followed the manual and my level is basically as VicS describes.

ionian

Visit site
Crankcase oil level
Gearbox oil level

ionian

Visit site
Many thanks to those who have replied. Next week i will change eng. and gear oil and compare what comes out with what goes in.

It appears to me that the gb is well above full and engine is a bit below full.

Cheers peter.