Yanmar 2GM20 Oil

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
This just means it meets the requirements of all three specifications.
By default, it will meet most of the lower specifications too.

If you look at the three specifications you will see that that is not strictly true. API CI has a low TBN to cater for reduced sulphur levels in fuel, whereas the other two do not. It depends on the maker but there can be a difference of 4 or 5 between the grades, which is higher than the overall figure for my recommended oil API CD.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
If you look at the three specifications you will see that that is not strictly true. API CI has a low TBN to cater for reduced sulphur levels in fuel, whereas the other two do not. It depends on the maker but there can be a difference of 4 or 5 between the grades, which is higher than the overall figure for my recommended oil API CD.

Yanmar say that CG-4 or CH-4 might cause excess valve gear wear due to an additive.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
No, it's 20w50 not 15/40 (Too high a viscosity)

In case it helps, here is the relevant section from the manual:

CYED8zK.png

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
In case it helps, here is the relevant section from the manual:

CYED8zK.png

If that manual is like mine it could be at least 18 years old. I dont know about other companies but Shell use the same names for products that might be very different a few years down the line. Rotella for example is very different now from its previous version. Check the spec., not the name.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If that manual is like mine it could be at least 18 years old. I dont know about other companies but Shell use the same names for products that might be very different a few years down the line. Rotella for example is very different now from its previous version. Check the spec., not the name.

No date that I can see on it, but probably 1986, when the engine was supplied. I posted it because discussion had turned to viscosities. Yanmar's own oil nowadays is 15W40, but as far as I can see is "API CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/CF-4/SL o:p>ACEA E7-04/E5-02/E3-96/A3-02/B3-98" and may therefore not be suitable of the GM series. As the Australian distributor for Yanmar says ...

W94D4Yc.png

lw395

Visit site

I don't believe API Cg or Ch speicify a maximum base number.
It is in some JASO and ACEA specs though IIRC.