Yanmar 1GM10 alternator

jerry_jones

Visit site
The alternator on my Yanmar 1GM10 has just died comprehensively - my local alternator fettler tells me that the stator, regulator and brushes are all kaput. He can get a replacement for £130 eventually but I was wondering whether any car units will fit and are suitable. I would like to provide more than the original unit's 35A if I can but cannot afford to go for a proper high output unit with a decent Adverc controller.

3 questions - does anyone know of either a source of decent recon or second hand original units or a suitable (cheap!) replacement for the original Hitachi LR 135126 and how does the original differ from a car unit in terms of being modified for marine use - can I do anything to a replacement to render it more corrosion-resistant?

RayJones

Visit site
I suggest you go to a motor wreckers and buy a second hand alternator with a built in regulator.
They usually have only three connectors and they are
the big one...power to the battery
the second one usually marked with an i , takes power from the key switch through the charge lamp and to the alternator
and I think the third one is an earth.
If you get it at the right price its amazing how you can make it fit!
Good luck
Ray Jones.

brianrunyard

homepage.ntlworld.com
On a car altenator, the two large terminals are usually connected together, so don't put it to ground, just use one. As already stated the small terminal goes to the ignition switch via a small lamp, this provides the exitation current.
I use a car altenator on my boat, I just cleaned it and painted it to give some degree of protection.

jerry_jones

Visit site
That's what I am trying to do, but the unit's small size is making it hard to find a replacement. Does anyone know if there is room for a conventional diameter car-type unit against the engine, as there is plenty of room for it outboard, although I would expect to need a longer belt of course.

brianrunyard

homepage.ntlworld.com
It's a somewhat bigger engine than yours, a Volvo B18B which is 100hp petrol as used in the "Saints" Volvo P1800S.
I intend changing it to a diesel during the winter.
I went for the most popular car altenator at the time, which was an ACR18, therefore easy and cheep to replace if need be. I have a spare at home but have never had any trouble (probably shouldn't have said that! it'll most likely let me down tomorrow!!!).

G

Jerry,,dont forget that if you fit a larger output unit it will take more of your engine Hp to drive it under load.

G

No One seems to want to give U the answer!!
My 1GM alt also was totalled and I got a spare from a car breakers but needed to bush it to fit. Also it tries to short out the solenoid unless u lengthen the arm by 5cm or so.
I'll have a look at it for ser number 4u.
Marinising just involves varnish/turps mix paint
Total cost £60
Lucas do do a direct replacement for the hitachi but very pricey