YAMAHA MALTA TICK OVER

Frank mellin

Visit site
Have now got my Malta engine running after cleaning carburettor and fitting new gaskets and diaphragms to pump.
Starts first pull very easily runs well as long as throttle is used.
Will not tick over .
Have tried adjusting air mix screw but seems to make no difference.Does screwing IN make mixture richer?
I reckon it is running too rich as lot of smoke
Any ideas on problem please?

wofff

Visit site
Have now got my Malta engine running after cleaning carburettor and fitting new gaskets and diaphragms to pump.
Starts first pull very easily runs well as long as throttle is used.
Will not tick over .
Have tried adjusting air mix screw but seems to make no difference.Does screwing IN make mixture richer?
I reckon it is running too rich as lot of smoke
Any ideas on problem please?
The only problem I ever have with my Malta is fuel - tip everything out and put new mix in - not new from the old tin, but new new ! It doesn't last nowadays since they've made it eco.....

Boathook

Visit site
Fuel mix should be 100 to 1 for the Malta. If you use the throttle a bit, does it tick over or rev right up? If revs up there is still a blockage, possibly in the main jet. If ticks over adjust the idle screw to take the slack out of the carb linkage.
The 'idle' screw needs to be around 1.5 turns out to start with and then 'fine' tune from there.

Edit

1621178013672.png

Part 6 is the pilot and 11 the main jet.
1621178251986.png

Last edited:

Frank mellin

Visit site
Fuel mix should be 100 to 1 for the Malta. If you use the throttle a bit, does it tick over or rev right up? If revs up there is still a blockage, possibly in the main jet. If ticks over adjust the idle screw to take the slack out of the carb linkage.
The 'idle' screw needs to be around 1.5 turns out to start with and then 'fine' tune from there.
wow the mixture is way out!
50/1
yes when I use throttle it revs up very quickly.
I did clean out inside of carb inc jets but wondering if there are some channels in the actual body that need cleaning.
Do you know of a video of cleaning for this carb, have not been able to find so far.
Only other query is that when I replaced the diaphragms on the pump one of the new ones was different.the old one had a approx 20mm hole in it.the new one did not have ?

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Are you sure the float bowl gasket is not sucking in air. I had the same problem as you and a new gasket cured it. The Mixture is indeed supposed to be 100/1 but that scares me and I run at about 75/1

Frank mellin

Visit site
Are you sure the float bowl gasket is not sucking in air. I had the same problem as you and a new gasket cured it. The Mixture is indeed supposed to be 100/1 but that scares me and I run at about 75/1
i think you may be right!
have taken apart and resealed.much better.the rubber gasket is very flimsy.