Yamaha Enduro 15hp or Tohatsu/Nissan 9.8hp

geem

Visit site
For the last 12 years we have had a Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke then a Nissan badged version after our rib and engine we stolen in Spain. Whilst here in the Caribbean we do some diving and a few heavy shopping trips. We also have a couple of dogs. So whilst we were in Bonaire we decided to buy a Yamaha 15 hp Enduro as its the cheapest place in the Caribbean for Yams.
Observations on both these engines having been using the Yam 15 for the last month running on a Caribe 9ft light grp hull.
The Tohatsu is far smoother than the Yam. I found this a suprise but its true.
The Tohatsu is far quieter. You have to shout to be heard of the noise of the Yam. The Tohatsu has no noticable exhaust note, the Yam has a lot of exhaust noise.
The lock on the Yam is terrible. The Tohatsu turns tightly.
The Tohatsu uses far less fuel. This is to be expected being 50% less power I guess.
Most of the time the Tohatsu has enough power for two people. It is only occationally that the extra power of the Yam is needed. Top speed with the Yam is only marginally more than with the Tohatsu with two people on board.
The Yam has a flat spot when you accelerate. My pal has the same engine and his also has the flat spot.
When the sea is a little bumpy it is more comfy with the Yam as you can go a little faster and it seems to iron out the bumps.
We can plane with three people easily with the Yam. Not possible with the Tohatsu 9.8.
Both engines are transformed by installation of a planing plate. Trimming the plate to be level with the bottom of the rib hull makes a noticable difference to performance. Fit a large plate. No need to buy one. Ours is home made from four layers of heavy cloth and epoxy. Comes out at 5mm thick and is stiff and hydrodynamic. Our dogs also use it to climb out of the water in to the dinghy.
Hope these observations are useful to anybody considering an engine out here in the Caribbean. I would guess that these engines make up 90% of all engines sold to yachties in the Caribbean

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
I had a similar decision to make after my 28 year old Johnson was stolen.

I finished up with a Nissan 18 hp 2 stroke. Same engine as the 15 but for some bizarre reason the 18 was about 200 dollars cheaper. The Nissan version was also cheaper than the Tohatsu.

I have been very pleased with my Nissan 18 it is light weight and surprisingly economical, which I attribute to it be able to run at 1/2 throttle once my RIB is on the plane. Starts second pull when cold and first pull afterwards. BOSS BIT OF KIT.

geem

Visit site
May be the case with larger Tohatsu. I have no experience of those so I couldnt say. The Tohatsu 9.8hp though, is a cracking engine. I just didnt appreciate it until I got the Yamaha!

geem

Visit site
I wonder if TCM has ever owned a Tohatsu 9.8? As I said earlier, I have both and I have no reason to be biased. The Tohatsu is an excellent engine

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I wonder if TCM has ever owned a Tohatsu 9.8? As I said earlier, I have both and I have no reason to be biased. The Tohatsu is an excellent engine

Funnily enough I've also got both, as you say both excellent, but it's the Yamaha that's on my tender whilst the Tohatsu is wrapped up in the garage.