Yachtmaster Practical

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
My main problem was 2 of the other candidates who were not good sailors. This produced a lot of stress over the period of the course+exam. It also meant that I became extremely tired (the instructor pointed out to them that as I was the only one who actually knew how to navigate and helm then it would help their cause if they nominated me as the helmsman. One the 2nd day of the exam I helmed for them from 0830 until 0100 the next morning!).

So dealing with the crew was the main thing.

Other than that, nothing too much. The examiner I had was a very nice chap who tended to put people at their ease. As long as you know and have practised your stuff it shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Also, bear in mind that the examiner has a vested interest in you passing. He has a lot of paperwork if you fail!

Magic

andy_wilson

Visit site
How the hell did a school put 2 candidates up for an exam if they couldn't nav. or helm? Were they doing comp. crew or something?

How were you marked for managing the crew if you ended up 'doing it yourself' for 14.5 hours?

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
You tell me Andy. It was the subject of some “debate” when the course/exam finished. They were in fact entered for YM. In the end I had to “press” SWMBO” in as competent crew. She was particularly dis-choughed as she’d just driven up to Lincoln to see her Sister and had to drive all the way back down. (Mind you, I think I did her a favour!)

During that particular day, I was nominated as helm by both other parties during their periods as skipper. During my periods as skipper, I nominated them or SWMBO for simple bits and helmed myself in more difficult circumstances (I was précising for simplicity). At one point this involved helming, whilst at the same time explaining what a controlled gybe was before dropping anchor at a designated point in Langstone Harbour – upon completion of the gybe. I’ll tell you what though – when it came off I didn’t half get a buzz.

Magic

ponapay

Visit site
The single most importnat point is CONFIDENCE. One must assume that you have the ability otherwise you would not put yourself forward for the test.

Confidence is best shown in your ability to manage your crew and keep them happy whilst ensuring the yacht is safely navigated and under control.

Its great fun, hard work and very rewarding - give it a go.

qsiv

Visit site
Out of interest - how much time/coursework is likely to be invlolved?

I've never actually taken any sailing related exams - but can see the day looming when it might be useful/mandatory, and it might be easier to jump in before getting pushed!

snowleopard

Visit site
my examiner seemed most interested in whether i had a feel for wind & tide, i think he wanted to weed out the two-week intensive course types. his main criticism of me was that i reefed down too much (to avoid mayhem during the mob test). i had no night sailing or blind pilotage. incidentally the examiner helmed himself on the last leg, under full canvas in 30+ knots of wind, drove into th hamble with the wind up our tail then said 'you can get the sails down now!'

Jeremy_W

Visit site
The European standard is the ICC, which is below Day Skipper standard. It certainly used to be the case that a holder of the Day Skipper Practical ticket could buy an ICC without taking any further test. It's unlikely that any compulsory test will be set at or near YM Practical standard.

Cornishman

Visit site
Your last remark is being a bit unfair on examiners!!

We do have a few more boxes to complete on the report form if we recommend failure - but it doesn't take many words to describe why we do.

The one box which usually gets filled in more extensively for a failure than any other is the one headed 'Ability as a skipper'. Much of what has been said here covers this.

Oh, and if you let your examiner starve during the exam he won't feel well inclined towards your success!

qsiv

Visit site
I've certainly had an ICC since the time when it was an HOCC (or whatever it was), but still thought it might be worth looking to do YM, if it didnt entail too much extra work - busines and children leave all too little time.

I dont know how much 'swotting' might be needed for the theory - I hope I might be close to having adequate experience for the practical - although most of the time I dont have a crew to organise.

Cornishman

Visit site
As a word of advice to any candidate who finds me as his examiner and who presents a boat that bad - forget it. I value my life too much.

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
The examiner I had chose one of the most difficult points of the test to ask loudly 'What's for dinner, skipper? We're all getting hungry'. In the discussion afterwards he emphasized the importance of looking after your crew.

In answer to the original question, my examiner stressed at the beginning that any uncontrolled gybe would be unacceptable. He didn't quite say it in straight words, but I think an uncontrolled gybe would have been failure grounds. We broad-reached for 2 days.

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Sorry Cornishman - genuinely no reflection on examiners. You'll recollect I particularly praised mine.

The comment was made to me by my instructor during the previous week.

Magic