Yachting World 5-Tonner.....mine...Janina of Dorset

JaninaofDorset

Visit site
Hi all
Does anyone know of any other Yachting World 5-tonners still alive and kicking?
Mine is Janina of Dorset, which is purchased March 2022. It was built in Bombay at around 1946-48 ish.
I heard it was commissioned by a Major who was posted there after the war. but not sure if this is true?

I would love to get some details of my boat and of any others of the same design.
I have heard of Joelle and Mary A, also Zircon and Marin.

can anyone put me onto others or do you have any info etc. was looking for past info on owners of Janina too
old photo with previous owner and previous colour$_86.JPG

theoldman

Visit site
I'm delighted to hear that you have acquired one of these fine little Classics. My father owned one from 1964 - 1971 and I sailed on her a lot as a young man.
In answer to your query, I have a few old Lloyd's Register of Yachts. The 1960 one confirms that Janina was built in Bombay in 1948 and records that she was owned by Col. F Seymour-Williams. By 1965, she was owned by one Peter B Rustom, who still owned her in 1969. By 1977, she was no longer in the Register.
There were two in Northern Ireland - my father's "Lamita" and another "Kirmew". They are both probably still around somewhere, but I suspect that they may be moribund.
You might find more Lloyd's registers in a Library or Yacht Club and find more information about previous owners there. Alternatively, the Association of Yachting Historians will sell you the complete set of Registers on a USB stick for £85, but I suspect that you might have better things to do with the money!
I hope that's some help and that you enjoy sailing your fine seaworthy yacht.

GingerAl

Visit site
I'm delighted to hear that you have acquired one of these fine little Classics. My father owned one from 1964 - 1971 and I sailed on her a lot as a young man.
In answer to your query, I have a few old Lloyd's Register of Yachts. The 1960 one confirms that Janina was built in Bombay in 1948 and records that she was owned by Col. F Seymour-Williams. By 1965, she was owned by one Peter B Rustom, who still owned her in 1969. By 1977, she was no longer in the Register.
There were two in Northern Ireland - my father's "Lamita" and another "Kirmew". They are both probably still around somewhere, but I suspect that they may be moribund.
You might find more Lloyd's registers in a Library or Yacht Club and find more information about previous owners there. Alternatively, the Association of Yachting Historians will sell you the complete set of Registers on a USB stick for £85, but I suspect that you might have better things to do with the money!
I hope that's some help and that you enjoy sailing your fine seaworthy yacht.
I remember Lamita with great fondness! As a 16 year old I was the ships boy on a West Coast, two week cruise in 1971. Two men and a boy, Bangor to Skye and back. Marvellous memories. Hand bearing compass, dividers, parallel rule, dead-reckoning, hard back copy of the CCC Sailing Directions. Being handed the helm under full sail heading up the Sound of Mull is one of the important milestones of my love affair with that area.
Lamita was an absolute joy to sail, took everything that came her way!

JaninaofDorset

Visit site
I remember Lamita with great fondness! As a 16 year old I was the ships boy on a West Coast, two week cruise in 1971. Two men and a boy, Bangor to Skye and back. Marvellous memories. Hand bearing compass, dividers, parallel rule, dead-reckoning, hard back copy of the CCC Sailing Directions. Being handed the helm under full sail heading up the Sound of Mull is one of the important milestones of my love affair with that area.
great info...cheers ??‍☠️⛵

JaninaofDorset

Visit site
Janina...me
Mary A
Joelle
Zircon
Marin
Lamita
Alycdon
all the YW 5-tonners so far i know of...although where they are?
or what condition?
?

theoldman

Visit site
Glad to hear that you remember her with great fondness - so do I!

theoldman

Visit site
I think Dynemene in Southwold is a YW 5 tonner and she’s in lovely condition.
Add to
Janina...me
Mary A
Joelle
Zircon
Marin
Lamita
Alycdon
all the YW 5-tonners so far i know of...although where they are?
or what condition?
?
Add to that list "Kirmew" I believe that she is on the hard at Kircubbin Sailing Club in Northern Ireland.
Condition probably sound, but neglected.
Hi all
Mine is Janina of Dorset, which is purchased March 2022. It was built in Bombay at around 1946-48 ish.
I heard it was commissioned by a Major who was posted there after the war. but not sure if this is true?

I would love to get some details of my boat and of any others of the same design.

can anyone put me onto others or do you have any info etc. was looking for past info on owners of Janina too
old photo with previous owner and previous colourView attachment 149424
I note that Janina has the bermudan sloop rig. The original plans offered Bm sloop, Bm cutter, with a short bowsprit or gaff cutter, with a longer bowsprit. Kirmew has the Bermudan cutter rig. I don't know if any of them had the gaff rig. Lamita had quite strong weather helm, so, acting on advice from the Designer, we added a short bowsprit, which certainly improved the situation.
I had the pleasure of meeting Robert Clark at a cruising club function. When I was introduced to him, I asked, "Are you THE Robert Clark", to which he modestly replied "Well, I design boats, if that's what you mean"

JaninaofDorset

Visit site
Add to

Add to that list "Kirmew" I believe that she is on the hard at Kircubbin Sailing Club in Northern Ireland.

I note that Janina has the bermudan sloop rig. The original plans offered Bm sloop, Bm cutter, with a short bowsprit or gaff cutter, with a longer bowsprit. Kirmew has the Bermudan cutter rig. I don't know if any of them had the gaff rig. Lamita had quite strong weather helm, so, acting on advice from the Designer, we added a short bowsprit, which certainly improved the situation.
I had the pleasure of meeting Robert Clark at a cruising club function. When I was introduced to him, I asked, "Are you THE Robert Clark", to which he modestly replied "Well, I design boats, if that's what you mean"
yeah Janina has 2 bronze eyes low on her transom...think it used to have a bumpkin at some point...but now the back stay on 2 points on the stern making a few upgrades...fitting 2 midship cleats...

South wind

Visit site
Hi all

old photo with previous owner and previous colourView attachment 149424
I made an account just to reply to this (I am very excited by this)
I own and am currently restoring a yachting world five tonner on the river dart (out of water) in Devon
she is called south wind and was built in 1947 in Essex and is a bemudan rig model with bumpkin and running backstays
I am very excited to find another one near by, I would be very interested in discussing more if you ever wanted to, I have a collection of articles, reviews and general collection of all sorts regarding the class which you may be interested in.
I was also looking to find another yachting world five tonner to look at in order to aid my restoration in terms of design and original features which the plans seem more vague about, and general layout etc.
I am so thrilled to find a fellow enthusiast
kind regards

South wind

Visit site
Add to

That’s amazing - also near me in galmpton is British steel the actual boat which was the first to sail around the world “the wrong way” by Chay Blythe I think it was being put up for sail at one point, it’s up on the hard and has been for years having work done to it

theoldman

Visit site
I made an account just to reply to this (I am very excited by this)
I own and am currently restoring a yachting world five tonner on the river dart (out of water) in Devon
she is called south wind and was built in 1947 in Essex and is a bemudan rig model with bumpkin and running backstays
I am very excited to find another one near by, I would be very interested in discussing more if you ever wanted to, I have a collection of articles, reviews and general collection of all sorts regarding the class which you may be interested in.
I was also looking to find another yachting world five tonner to look at in order to aid my restoration in terms of design and original features which the plans seem more vague about, and general layout etc.
I am so thrilled to find a fellow enthusiast
kind regards
When the Class was designed, Yachting World featured it in their centrefold pull out Design Supplement. It showed the lines, the three sailplans, general layout etc., along with Designer's remarks and Editor's comments. If you can get hold of a copy of that, I think you might find it helpful. I had a copy many years ago, but sadly don't know what became of it.
Good luck with your restoration!