yacht toe rails

gregnorris1

Visit site
I'm thinking of renewing the toe rail on my Nic 31 - any advice welcome!
I can get Iroko cut to size locally in Lancashire, but as the boat's in Scotland this isn't too convenient - any good suppliers west of Glasgow?
Ta
Greg

gregnorris1

Visit site
Hi Meldrum - was your old rail bolted through or screwed?
I'm particularly concerned at the prospect of having to rip the interior to bits in order to acces the underside of the fastenings.

meldrum

Visit site
Her toe rails were screwed and glued with wood plugs the screws were also bedded in glue(black cascamite). It was a right pig of a job to start with, but in the end i found it best to remove all of the plugs and screws first,score the gap where the rail met the ply deck (if i didnt the rail would lift the ply veneers)with a stanley knife. Then use a couple of thin wedges to crack the glue joint from one end. In this way I was able to reuse the toe rails, for after planing the glue off and sanding with an orbital sander(much easier off the boat)despite looking manky as hell beforehand (green and grey)they came up well enough to be reused.You have to take great care removing the plugs. The best way I was told on this forum, and it worked, Thanks guys. Was to drill a hole in the centre of the plug, hit the plug vertically with a suitable sized drift to crack the glue and then insert a screw into the hole to remove the plug.

sbrockman

Visit site
this thread caught my eye as I've often contemplated renewing the toe rail on my Nic 32. From memory each rail is made of about 5 or 6 pieces lap jointed together. My question would be, how much bend is there in a 5ft length of 2in wide teak? would it need to be steamed?

As far as suppliers are concerned Gilmour and Aitken's is the place to go. Bought some teak there at the start of the year to make some new locker lids, I was pointed in the direction of the timber and got to select the pieces i wanted in my own time.