Yacht Maintenance

Vid

Visit site
I'm considering buying a small cruiser/racer (budget of say £5k) and would like to get a better understanding of what routine maintenance is required. I've read plenty about anti-fouling, rigging checks, engine maintenance, electricals etc. but it would be very useful to have single authorative guide that would take me through all that is required and how to go about the work. I particularly want to do most of it myself, to gain first-hand experience rather than paying someone else to do it for me.

Can anyone suggest a suitable book or other source?

Many thanks

David

<hr width=100% size=1>

Lynette

Visit site
If there is one book that contains everything you need to know, it is Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems (International Marine Press). I have the 2nd edition of 1995, a little dated now, but still essential specially with a boat with mostly older systems.

If you are buying a boat, do try to make sure that you get the original user manuals with as much as possible of the kit aboard as these are invaluable. It's always worth contacting manufacturors to fill in the gaps.

<hr width=100% size=1>