yacht hunting south coast

Csail

N/A
Visit site
We are going to a party this weekend somewhere near portsmouth i think (need to ask swmbo) but i would like to go boat shopping so where is best to look/view?

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Depends on the size and type of boat. If you get yourself along to Hamble Point, you will find about 6 or more brokers, or, start off driving East to Chichester marina, there you have Opal then back via Emsworth you have Slipway marine with older smaller boats. Heading West in Northney there is Portway. Fareham there are several brokers, Gosport, another Opal. Burslden and the top end of the Hamble Moody's and Deacons, phew, how much time do you have?!!!

Judders

Visit site
For older, smaller boats, Deacon's at Burlesdon and Slipway at Emsworth have a lot of choice, although I thought the presentation and helpfulness of slipway was pathetic.

If you are looking at newer bigger boats then it depends on the brand. Hamble point has a few as Galadriel rightly says. Swanwick would be worth a look, esepcially for Moodys. For Bavs & Legends, Peters Opal at Sparkes on Hayling Island has plentiful choice. Whilst on the Island, pop into Northney Marina where Portway are based (where the gorgoeus Lex Maulkin works!). They have a good cross section and there are a couple of smaller brokers there as well.

To be honest, that's all too much to do in a day so work out what you want to see and find a couple on the YBW brokerage site.

nigelhudson

calculuscontracts.co.uk
When we were buying two years ago we went round all the brokers mentioned and looked at all the boats in our price/spec range. However that was because we were not very knowledgeable about the different manufacturers and models. We found it very time-consuming and dis-heartening when we had travelled a long way and found nothing worth putting on the shortlist..
I would guess that you have much more knowledge than we did and have a good idea of what you want. I suggest that you do some research on the internet, all the brokers have web-sites, and circle some that might appeal. That way you'll make much efficient use of your time in the Solent area and see some boats that have a good chance of making the shortlist.