Yacht collision with ship off Kent coast

Tomahawk

Visit site
press release from Dungeness LB ( on RNLI media centre website) shows pictures which suggest damage is more serious so much so that the 2 hulls had to be lashed together to enable a safe tow to Dover

Jiggered if I can find anything on the RNLI website.
Searched for everything and nothing coming up

oldgit

Visit site
Am I the only one who observing something big, solid and moving , even miles off on the horizon , immediately start make ridiculously paranoid plans about staying away as far from it as physically possible !

Triassic

Visit site
press release from Dungeness LB ( on RNLI media centre website) shows pictures which suggest damage is more serious so much so that the 2 hulls had to be lashed together to enable a safe tow to Dover

As it appears to be a Wharram catamaran it was technically already lashed together......and made from wood not fibreglass so actually better able to stand up to the battering it got than I originally thought. Glad everyone was OK and able to reflect on their experiences, there is always another day.

lw395

Visit site
i.e. both of them.

Hard for a collision like that to take place without there being significant fault on both sides.

That's not really true when one vessel can stop or turn 90 degrees or more in a few seconds while the other is likely to be travelling a lot faster.
Either or both vessels could have been in the wrong.

It's also possible the collision was caused by e.g. sudden steering failure and was more bad luck than idiocy.

A few facts might be handy before handing out judgements,

ShinyShoe

Visit site
In which case gCaptain is seriously wrong in their reporting. They make no mention of dismasting.
Not entirely clear if the dismasting was caused by the collision or in free-ing the mast from the ship.

Go on then! Who's to blame?

So in addition to the AIS information last night. The pictures show a jib unfurled and up when the ship and cat are joined together. I'd expect that was unfurled pre-collision by the look of things.

The yacht and ship are both pointing in the same direction and the yacht is against the ship's port side. The ship wasn't in the TSS.

So if it was under sail alone, the ship *should* have given way.

If the cat was also under engine, then the only way I can see the cat being where it is if the ship came from her starboard side.... so the cat should have given way...

However -
Who's to blame?
Both - coz the rules say both must take action to avoid collision if the other doesn't

Tomahawk

Visit site
TBH, I am a bit mystified as to how the rigging/forestay got tangled with the bridge wing.
It't a good 10 feet from the clew of the jib to either of the bows on a 42ft cat. Add to that the angle of the forestay... It is a very long way from the sides of the hulls to the rigging at the height of the bridge wings.

ShinyShoe

Visit site
TBH, I am a bit mystified as to how the rigging/forestay got tangled with the bridge wing.
It't a good 10 feet from the clew of the jib to either of the bows on a 42ft cat. Add to that the angle of the forestay... It is a very long way from the sides of the hulls to the rigging at the height of the bridge wings.

Its not quite clear what is caught. is it the forestay. Or was a shroud caught?

The cat's starboard bow took the impact based on the damage. If it was going at a decent speed and then hit basically a brick wall - the mast will have effectively rolled forwards.

The point of impact on the ship is unknown to us.

The ship turns 180degrees presumably after impact. It was doing 10kts until just before then. but doesn't stop instantly. So it could have been caught elsewhere and then slid along the side with a wake affecting pitch.

johnalison

Visit site
I don’t care if it’s only a few hundred metres away - so long as I’m looking at its stern as it goes away from me.

I'm also happy if it is pointing straight at me, because that means that I will be well out of the way by the time it gets to where I am. I have no opinion about the current case. Either one or boat vessels could be at fault and we have no means as yet of knowing.

Tomahawk

Visit site
It rather depends on how close she is when pointing straight at you.
I had a very scary moment with a fast cat that was something of two miles away and doing 45 kts. It was late afternoon and the sun was low. I was in the sun from where she was and realised they probably couldn't see me.......

Stemar

Visit site
I had a scary moment with a fast cat earlier this year, and I was on board, doing 35 knots in what felt like 100 yards visibility, so it was probably 300. A small plastic boat with an ineffective radar reflector wouldn't have stood a chance.

Seven Spades

Visit site
If you don't have AIS on board it is not always easy for a yacht to judge all the collision risks if there are a lot of ships. Often it is not the first ship that is the problem but the ships following. Lets say there are three ships 1,2 & 3. 1 is nearest you and 2 is further back and 3 is ahead or behind 2 but traveling faster. You pass astern of 1, ahead of 2 but now 3 is a problem, you can't do a 180 because that would put you on a collision course with 2. Your options are difficult, slow down, stop or maintain course and speed. In any event you might find yourself a lot closer to the ship you and imagined. Now if the ships are approaching from port and 3 turns to starboard and you have stopped or slowed down..... There are lots of scenarios where it is possible to be where you don't want to be.