Y Yacht demanding "Gas Certificate"??

Visit site
I'm converting my sailing barge back to propane cooking, from paraffin.
I have dutifully informed my insurers, the wonderful and lovely Y Yachts, that I will be doing it myself, using the lpg bit of the BSS as guide.
There is no chance of the boat passing a full BSS let alone blue book, being a private 125 yr old tjalk.
Y have said the underwriters have ok'd my intentions, but that I must obtain a "Gas Certificate".
As far as I know there is no such thing. Where is the wording, what authority would issue it, who would sign it off?
Has anyone here any suggestions as to what they might mean? I have of course e'd Y for clarification. But I'm not convinced their underwriters are on the ball with this one.
There may very likely be something I'm missing, don't know what though..any tips? thanks

lpdsn

Visit site
Talk to them. My experience so far is that they thake a sensible, pragmatic view based on experience. In the worst case, at least you'll understand what their concerns are and why they're stipulating the requirement.

skipper021

Visit site
They are probably referring to a 'Gas safety certificate' which is issued by a recognized marine gas fitter on the gas safe register.
He will basically check the gas installation for safety, bottle storage, rigid and flexible pipes, and cooker flame failure function.

You can access a list of approved gas safe fitters on this website here: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/
Under the post code search box, there is another option to choose an appliance type, choose LPG/Cylinder then choose 'Boats' from the drop down menu.

While a marine gas fitter will know more about 'Boat' gas installations, you could also look at caravan/motorhome gas installers instead.

Visit site
They are probably referring to a 'Gas safety certificate' which is issued by a recognized marine gas fitter on the gas safe register.
He will basically check the gas installation for safety, bottle storage, rigid and flexible pipes, and cooker flame failure function.

You can access a list of approved gas safe fitters on this website here: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/
Under the post code search box, there is another option to choose an appliance type, choose LPG/Cylinder then choose 'Boats' from the drop down menu.

While a marine gas fitter will know more about 'Boat' gas installations, you could also look at caravan/motorhome gas installers instead.
Must be that one, thanks skipper

skipper021

Visit site
Its not expensive, I had a gas check done on my last yacht about 18 months ago and it cost £60 or so including some flexi pipe which needed to be changed.
Job was done by Tim Beck who specializes in Marine gas systems and covers the whole south west https://www.timbeck.co.uk/

VicS

Visit site
I'm converting my sailing barge back to propane cooking, from paraffin.
I have dutifully informed my insurers, the wonderful and lovely Y Yachts, that I will be doing it myself, using the lpg bit of the BSS as guide.
There is no chance of the boat passing a full BSS let alone blue book, being a private 125 yr old tjalk.
Y have said the underwriters have ok'd my intentions, but that I must obtain a "Gas Certificate".
As far as I know there is no such thing. Where is the wording, what authority would issue it, who would sign it off?
Has anyone here any suggestions as to what they might mean? I have of course e'd Y for clarification. But I'm not convinced their underwriters are on the ball with this one.
There may very likely be something I'm missing, don't know what though..any tips? thanks

What skipper 021 says

A gas safe registered marine gas engineer.

Apollo Gas are one of the major players in the field on the south coast having taken over the highly regarded Gas Check Marine a couple of years ago

https://www.apollogas.co.uk/

dunedin

Visit site
They're not confusing it with the safety certificate for inland cruising boats are they ?

No. Perfectly reasonable for an insurer to ask for a gas safety certificate if a new gas cooker system has been DIY installed.
Some DIYers may be up to CORGI standards, but others will not be. Seems fair enough.

PS. I got a gas safety check when replacing some out of date flexible cables. Pressure testing discovered a slight leak, elsewhere in the system, not previously spotted.

Daedelus

Visit site
Mrs D used to be some sort of high powered gas engineer. She was ruthless in a visual inspection of our boat's gas set up, but flatly refused to do any work on it. She insisted we get a registered engineer to do the work as he would have leak testing equipment. She had several stories of keen DIYers who had saved a few bob but had inadvertently killed themselves by gas leaks and/or massive explosions, since they had contravened the gas safety regulations the gas board held their dependents liable.

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Having previously insured with Y I can confirm that what they are after is a Gas Safe certificate confirming the satisfactory survey of your marine LPG installation. This is both a condition survey and conformity to appropriate regulations.

They were happy when I sent them a copy of the one I had on a previous boat. Amusingly, the supposedly respected surveyor who surveyed the boat when I sold her was casting aspersions on the credibility of the Gas Safe engineer who had done the gas installation survey and signed the certificate, simply because he had not heard of him before.

Visit site
Having previously insured with Y I can confirm that what they are after is a Gas Safe certificate confirming the satisfactory survey of your marine LPG installation. This is both a condition survey and conformity to appropriate regulations.

They were happy when I sent them a copy of the one I had on a previous boat. Amusingly, the supposedly respected surveyor who surveyed the boat when I sold her was casting aspersions on the credibility of the Gas Safe engineer who had done the gas installation survey and signed the certificate, simply because he had not heard of him before.
Thanks Mr Layabout. Matters are now in hand..