XM4000 antifoul

G

last year i had some small patches of antifioul that came off in flakes as soon as the antifoul had dried. i put it down to the thinners thati had cleaned my brush with, and thought no more about it.

this year, the same thing has happened, but the brush is new and free of thinners, and the hull has been vigorously abraded with wet and dry then powerwashed - by me, so i know its been done thoroughly
has anyone else had this difficulty with XM 4000 hard racing? or have i got some surface contaminent that even this years cleaning wont shift?

G

Having the same problem with XM2000. Used it for first time this year after reading good reports, boat launched in late March, now areas have flaked off, and intact areas have lots of slime and beginings of weed. Never again, should have stuck to my old stuff.

G

I've used XM HS3000. Am I going to get the same results as you?? In the past, I've used, and had very good results with Jotum SeaGuardian. This year I couldn't get it from my usual source (something about EU regulations/interference! preventing them from selling it), and had to use XM instead for the first time.

The XM went on as a dark blue, but after only one month in the water, it has turned and insipid powder blue instead. I won't be using it again next year as I expected it to stay dark blue - as the Jotum did.

So, back to the beginning - is my XM HS3000 AF going to flake off???

regards,
Philip

G

I used XM3000 and found it starting to flake off before I launched the boat. I've never had this problem before- and will not be using XM again

G

Although I have never used XM**** antifouling I have always been of the opinion that, when changing brands, one should always apply a barrier coat using the new brand's primer. The worst cases of flaking are when using hard matrix types over previous self-polishing ones.