X Yachts (X 402)

Hawkflier

Visit site
Hi guys after spending my summer yacht hunting and getting nowhere I am now following up on an X 402.
As I will get but one chance to own my own yacht I can't afford a total mess-up.

Can anyone direct me to a source of technical information on this yacht. I have contacted X Yachts for help but as this is not one of their current yachts I have yet to hear from them.

Any views would be appreciated.
I was previously looking at Sigmas (36 362 and 38) Dehlers 36 & 38 and came close to buying a Dromor Apollo 12 in Greece

I either miss them or turn up problems that are best walking away from, or find that the price is just out of reach!
Cheers guys

dt4134

Visit site
I don't know the boat but this is what I found with a web search. http://www.sailingnetworks.com/design/details/d-x402

I don't know if you're generally familiar with what to expect from an X-Yacht. The fact that ten berths is quoted indicates she's designed for racing. SA/D is only 20.2 (OK, some forumites might consider that as on a par with being possessed by a devil but it isn't extreme at all).

X-Yachts can generally be raced well. You do need to know how to get the best out of a fractional rig (which the X-402 appears to be) to sail one. They brand does tend to have a reasonable cruising fit out, with quality generally above a mainstream AWB but below the HR/Najad etc. Scandanavian standard, but still they're often described as racer-cruisers rather than cruiser-racers. Some will be racier than that, so if you're looking for a boat that can be cruised you'd want photos before spending too much on travelling to see the boat.

Generally, I'm a big fan of X-Yachts and if I ever win the lottery I might well be phoning them. However, if you've a very cruisey background you might have a bit of a learning curve sailing one when it gets a bit windy. They're perfectly OK though if you trim the sails properly.

Also get a few insurance quotes before you commit yourself. Some insurance companies seem to dislike them.

boguing

Visit site
Which one is it?

I had 'a financial interest' in one in 1986, from new. Masthead rig - probably a mistake in hindsight. Until then I'd only raced mastheads, and with a far better boat I wanted to minimse the gradient of the learning curve.

Skippered it for several thousand miles and got to know it very well.

At that time, there was no other yachtbuilder offering such a well engineered product - if you wanted a lead keel in those days you could only go for a one-off. If you wanted winches that you might actually be able to wind, you paid for the upgrade. Not with X-Yachts.

You sail a 402 on the instruments. Upwind you move the (huge) wheel just an inch or two (of rim movement) at most.

Trying to avoid saying it, but it really is the best boat I have ever sailed.

Only two downsides that I can remember.

1. Keep the cockpit tidy. It's embarassing when lots of rope falls into the wheel trench...

2. The halyard winches on the aft corners of the coachroof would start to cant forwards at maximum tensions. Probably fixed by now on the one you're looking at.

If X-Yachts had not produced boats like these, Benetau et al would never have produced their 'F' ranges.

pm if you want more.

Grannydyer

Visit site
Hi all,
This is the only thread on the X-402 I could find.
We are in the market for a fast cruiser to race occasionally, we have considered the x-402 or all the usual suspects to be found in Croatia (jeanneaus, elans, dehlers and beneteau )where we are looking.
We tried the 402, and found her to be in lovely condition, my husband is very keen on her. However on the test sail We initially had light airs and all was well. When the sea breeze picked up a little I found she became very quickly overpowered and we found her difficult to handle with only three on board. The running backstay system was difficult to manage. I don't know how experienced our owner skipper was but he seemed to be keen to return to the marina as soon as there was a little breeze.

I would be grateful for any opinions