Wreck at Orford (Alde) - origin?

Shearwater

Visit site
Downstream of the quay at Orford is a decaying, yet highly photogenic wreck, complete with samphire and weed growing happily within the hull. Possibly a one-time ferry serving the island during the war but perhaps someone knows more?

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Downstream of the quay at Orford is a decaying, yet highly photogenic wreck, complete with samphire and weed growing happily within the hull. Possibly a one-time ferry serving the island during the war but perhaps someone knows more?
I am very much a regular on that river and have seen this and more wrecks in that area. I truly don't think
there is any 'common knowledge' as to what this boat was. It would need very local knowledge and truthfully that
is getting less and less as Orford is bereft of old timers. Its a holiday town these days.
The Ness used MOD heavy duty ferries as far as I am aware, vehicle transport style and its only fairly recently gone
into National Trust ownership. Not an expert but I know a few.

Tomahawk

Visit site
It's a funny old world. Abaondoned and decaying boats become part of the eco system providing a habitat for anything that can shelter on them. Yet these days they have to be removed to portect the eco system.

SC35

Visit site
If you need a photo then you don't know the wreck. My photo is too large to upload.

1.) Wrecks weren't always wrecks. They were once floating boats that might have been somewhere entirely different.

2.) Shrink the photo first before uploading.

Keith 66

Visit site
The small red topped hull with three portholes looks very much like an ex RN or Dockyard Boom boat, they were approx 18 - 19ft, tubby little craft built to shift anti submarine booms about & other dockyard work. They were clinker built below with carvel topsides so they didnt get caught up on things. Many were converted into workboats & there are still a few left.