Wrapping vs Painting

TheOrs

Visit site
My yard grumbles over spray. I had to tent my boat when getting the stripes redone by spray to protect neighbouring boats.

Why did you spray, rather than just sticking stripes on?

I've "roller & tipped" my boat using International acrylic and the finish is just as shiny as polished gelcoat. All you need to do is two or three coats then flat and polish. Perhaps a little more work than spray but means it can be done without spray equipment or facing the wrath of neighbours.

I would be very interested if you have time to provide a bit more detail.

bobtooke

Visit site
I would be very interested if you have time to provide a bit more detail.

There's not a lot to tell - lots of videos on you tube on the technique but it's mostly just time and elbow grease.
As described above, roll the paint on generously using a foam gloss roller then tip off with a fine brush lightly dipped in thinner to even the finish. After about 48 hours, the paint can be flatted back using 2000 grit wet and dry paper followed by a machine polish with a fine rubbing compound. Finally finish off with a machine wax polish and it will give you a gleaming shine.

TheOrs

Visit site
There's not a lot to tell - lots of videos on you tube on the technique but it's mostly just time and elbow grease.
As described above, roll the paint on generously using a foam gloss roller then tip off with a fine brush lightly dipped in thinner to even the finish. After about 48 hours, the paint can be flatted back using 2000 grit wet and dry paper followed by a machine polish with a fine rubbing compound. Finally finish off with a machine wax polish and it will give you a gleaming shine.

Thanks. I'm trying to decide whether to take the plunge once the boat's out of the water for the winter.

[165042]

Visit site

Basically the same technique as varnishing.