Would you just look at that!

rhumlady

Visit site
The bridge looks as if it is further forward so the visibility should be better with less of an area forward out of sight. There is a name for it but my old brain is not working well tonight:-( Blind spot that would be then!

Last edited:

Dyflin

Visit site
Pfft, nice little boats, but not as impressive as the big boys that have been happily ploughing up and down the Channel for many years now. ;)

Eg Berge Stahl - Loa 342.08 m, Beam 63.5 m and draft of 23m.

Dyflin

Visit site
Luckily not everyone's as obsessed with length. Girth, depth and weight are what separates the men from the boys... :p

Pasarell

Visit site
Container Ships

These will be 18000 teu (twenty foot equivalent units) compared with the Emma Maersk 12000 teu. so a lot more boxes. Designed for the China - Europe route with the only UK port as Felixstowe. Too big for Suez so unlikely to see many Somali pirates unless they start plundering a lot further south!
Will travel a lot slower than Emma Maersk and other new container ships. Operational speed is 19 knots compared to 24 or 25 as the recent trend but that will translate into a lot of fuel saved. Engines will run at 80 rpm apparently.

Tottington Hall, near Bury, in the Duchy of Lancas
Visit site
These will be 18000 teu (twenty foot equivalent units) compared with the Emma Maersk 12000 teu. so a lot more boxes. Designed for the China - Europe route with the only UK port as Felixstowe.

Half as much again, if my sums are korrect.

It'll be interesting to watch a couple of them squeezing through the Dover Straits TSS, dodging the fast ferries and the swimmers...

:)

Boreades

Visit site
It looks like trade is picking up, and they're going for Volume not Velocity. Not long old high-speed container ships were being laid up

4767484668_d086d1db83.jpg

Great story on For Argyll on the last to leave Loch Striven

http://forargyll.com/2010/07/and-th...-bentonville-and-brooklyn-leave-loch-striven/