Would you change the thru hulls?!

James W

Visit site
I think I know the answer to this, but I'm going to check with the forum first!
Currently re-fitting a Sadler 29 and it has a NASA Log and Depth Sounder in the forepeak arrangement (on the hard). I've changed all of the other thru hulls and they are the only "original" ones left, but they are in an awkward position and I'm guaranteed to break them on removal. I've no reason to suspect they're leaking, but there is a little damp and mould in that area so some moisture.

Would you leave alone, or whip them out and replace? Thanks loads, James

KevinV

Visit site
You've obviously got a niggle in your mind about these which will probably never go away! So change them and sleep easy. Thats what I'd do. Phil
I have to agree with this. However possibly illogical, it's one of those thoughts that you can't unthink. Much nicer to put "all through hulls changed spring '22" in the maintenance log too

V1701

Visit site
If the speed log is in an awkward position presumably that means it's not working most of the time? Ergo, whip it out, fill in the hole and have done with it for good?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
What are you going to change them to, I seem to remember ( could be wrong) that the NASA has a smaller hole than other transducers, it's not difficult to enlarge but something to bear in mind.

VicS

Visit site
Thanks to all. They’re coming out! I’ll replacing like for like as have the NASA instruments, so no worries about holes. Better safe than sorry, that’s for sure.
If you don't have the original manuals down load then from Nasa's website and have a quick read of the fitting instructions.

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
I'm re doing my nasa log as i used sika flex and polyester resin oops so wrong best to use silicon and epoxy resin only

jwfrary

Visit site
If your depth is currently fitted through Hull, then it is possible to mount it either flush wjitg the Hull but not without some significant effort creating the recess, or better still just mount on the inside of the boat then there's no through Hull!

I have seen the nasa ones split apart causing the boat to sink, probobly overtighted but that just a guess could have been struck by an object in the water. If its flush that can't happen!

ash2020

Visit site
Sorry, I should have said that is a personal preference. Having used silicone for the best part of 50 years, I have often been disappointed in longevity. I would now much prefer polyurethane or acrylic sealants. I personally now use CT1 or Sikaflex.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Sorry, I should have said that is a personal preference. Having used silicone for the best part of 50 years, I have often been disappointed in longevity. I would now much prefer polyurethane or acrylic sealants. I personally now use CT1 or Sikaflex.

Various reports about failure of NASA skin fittings where polyurethane sealants have been used. Evidently it can degrade the plastic. There's an old thread here -(729) Nasa Log Skin fitting failure | Page 3 | YBW Forum

waynes world

Visit site
Maybe its the name `silicone` that folk are getting confused by as there are many types of silicone, i am sure NASA dont mean use bathroom silicone which so many folk do as its cheap and therefore it will be that same, which it isnt.