Would you be buying a yacht any time soon???

AndrewfromFal

Visit site
Ireland still thinks the EU benefits them and it would be far from the first time a country has willingly signed up to be part of the expansion. That's okay. But at the moment it Ireland and particularly Northern Ireland are at risk of having a border straight between them because the EU think they can push their agenda and use their economic clout to push another party into submission. Won't be the first time and won't be the last either. Welcome to Enlightened Imperialism.
Your viewpoint is very Anglo-centric, and consequently not a full reflection of what is actually happening.
The British government chose to ignore the statutes of the Good Friday Agreement (and that's being polite, because it seems the truth of it was that they hadn't read it, much less considered that leaving the EU customs union would be hugely problematic for the agreement), and their inability to come up with a solution to this issue means that there is likely to be a border, and thus far it seems likely it will be between the island of Ireland and the UK.
The EU is standing behind Ireland on this one, because it's a way of not only maintaining the EUs powerbase, but also a practical demonstration to all the smaller states within the EU of the benefits of being the wider community.
It has increased the likelihood of a united Ireland in the medium term, although how the Irish Republic would meet the costs of taking on a much more expensive workforce from the North, with a large proportion of state funded jobs, would be an interesting conundrum.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
No... my view point is Russian, Norwegian, Greenlandian(?)... I mean true also anglo but not anglo-centric. There are more than just a few people that disagree with the EU's methods... and it's effects an sailing at the moment. I mean huge plus for the ease of travel not so much for other things. Congrats to now having to pay more tax!

The UK does not have to enforce a border in the Irish Sea nor does it have to subsequently build a wall between northern ireland and the republic. That's up to the EU if it wants to protect its borders that badly. We don't fear the EU but it seems the EU fears us.

STATUE

Visit site
I have been researching various boats once again and seem to have come full circle arriving back at Folkboats when I bought a Folksong 26 maybe ten plus years ago. I want a hassle free, fun boat not a big caravan, with all the grieve and cost that goes with it whilst having to rely on paying people to sort it and store it. Being trapped by rental costs in and out of the water is a definite NO for me.

A little fun folkboat would be ideal, more than enough room inside for me, stick it on a mooring for £500 in Chi Harbour and tow it home for winter. A Marieholm IF Boat or 26 with 4' draft and maybe an outboard could be my final boat. Need to finish my other Swede first however (SAAB 96) before I take on another project! I could put it on one of my sisters moorings for a season also as they race them from St Mawes :)
No what you want is a Victoria Frances 26, going cheap!

Frogmogman

Visit site
Ireland still thinks the EU benefits them and it would be far from the first time a country has willingly signed up to be part of the expansion. That's okay. But at the moment it Ireland and particularly Northern Ireland are at risk of having a border straight between them because the EU think they can push their agenda and use their economic clout to push another party into submission. Won't be the first time and won't be the last either. Welcome to Enlightened Imperialism.

Oh please, do me a favour. What absolute nonsense. The sheer chutzpah in your statement is just breathtaking. If you want to talk about Ireland and Imperialism, it's England that's been the problem, not Europe. Dare I say, some study of Irish history might be in order ?

Ireland has had more help from Europe to get off it's knees economically in 45 year than it received from England in 800 years. Despite the difficulties since the 2008 crash, membership has helped transform Ireland into a modern, forward looking country, rather than an impoverished country dwelling on the many (and real) injustices it has suffered in the past.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
Oh please, do me a favour. What absolute nonsense. The sheer chutzpah in your statement is just breathtaking. If you want to talk about Ireland and Imperialism, it's England that's been the problem, not Europe. Dare I say, some study of Irish history might be in order ?

Ireland has had more help from Europe to get off it's knees economically in 45 year than it received from England in 800 years. Despite the difficulties since the 2008 crash, membership has helped transform Ireland into a modern, forward looking country, rather than an impoverished country dwelling on the many (and real) injustices it has suffered in the past.

Please you guys are all so concerned about Ireland that you fail to see that it is far from the only country and not once did I say the imperialism was bad for Ireland... I said Ireland still thinks the EU benefits them. We'll see for how long before the EU starts clawing power again. Ireland can stay Irish European and Northern Ireland can stay british and if the EU have a problem with that they can come to the table or build their wall if that's what they want to do. What I am saying however is that the EU is an imperialistic organization and that organization didn't work for the majority of people in the UK and that's why we left.

Would Ireland do better inside the UK? Probably not (not in it's current form at any rate), you can see this by the effect England has on Scotland and it is not a positive one. That said if Ireland did (hahahah ahahahah hah...*dies*) join the UK perhaps it would change the relationship between the countries enough that the UK would have to Federalize, which would be beneficial... hard to say but yeah past relationship not so good.

[165264]

Visit site
My opinion, FWIW, is that there is a good chance of a crash in the boat market. As a potential buyer, I have to hope so. Apologies to sellers. Especially if there is a post-Covid recession. As it happens, I think there will be, but not as bad as some make out.
If this season is lost, no one much will be buying for now; perhaps all summer and autumn. There will, sadly, be some boats available a a result of Covid deaths, given the demographic of boat ownership that I have seen.
I just can't be sure, but I am monitoring prices of the sort of thing I might want. (c 34ft and probably c 5 years old, or just possibly one of the new baby Jeanneaus.) I think some agents and brokers will go to the wall, but there are far more important things to shed tears over. And, of course, one has to survive it all oneself. If I do, I shall start looking seriously, "in the bleak midwinter".

PHN

Visit site
This is all very interesting but nothing to do with the OP

Yes, I am interested in buying a 37 - 40 ft "sail round the world" type of boat. Looking at my RTW plans it does not have to happen today, but it can provided the right boat for the right price pops up. As a matter of fact I came across a few options today that are worth considering.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
At present boats are selling at bargain prices and will get even cheaper to buy especially with the coronavirus issues. Next year the financial situation will be even worse especially since we are leaving the EU

Squiregate

Visit site
I’m currently in the market to buy. I’ve been looking at max 10 year old Beneteau GT38’s and Sessa C38’s but will consider other 2-cabin hardtop sports cruisers too. Plan to cruise around Corsica and Elba late summer (hopefully) and then berth in the Balearics for the winter. Grateful for the heads-up of any Med-spec boats out there plus any opinions on alternative models you’ve experience of.