would this thing actually work?

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Had to sell the NASA wind instrument as the wire couldn't be fitted in the cable conduit in our mast. I can't afford the eye watering £600 for a TackTick wireless unit but I saw this:
web page
wind.jpg

I know it's only £130 so please don't say 'you get what you pay for'!

If it's any good, it's surely worth £130?

fireball

Visit site
Dunno - but you could get it for £110 Here

The anemometer runs on 2 D batteries .... but should last for 2 years! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The display isn't waterproof ...

Aja

Visit site
It doesn't say and is certainly not clear.....

It looks as if the masthead transducer should be fixed in position - i.e North up or similar.

This probably wouldn't work on the top of a mast which rotates.

Just a thought.

Donald

Colvic Watson

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It looks as if the masthead transducer should be fixed in position - i.e North up or similar.

[/ QUOTE ] That does rather rule it out!

Adz

Visit site
Got to be worth a go if you want basic wind readings, Go on Get up that mast and get one fitted. If its No good whack it on ebay...

Adz

thalassa

www.wv-saeftinghe.nl
[ QUOTE ]
It looks as if the masthead transducer should be fixed in position - i.e North up or similar.This probably wouldn't work on the top of a mast which rotates.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting old, but isn't the idea to measure the apparent wind relative to direction of the boat , which it does?

Aja

Visit site
Maybe - but looking at the display I think the readout gives a bearing relative to a fixed point. It doesn't say that the wind is 10 deg to port or 12o deg starboard - it gives a bearing of 315 deg or whatever.... which indicates to me that the transducer is fixed in one position.

OK I admit to an age problem too sometimes, its alright.

Donald

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Visit site
It seems to have an analogue indication as well as the degrees so it would be easy to put a sticker over the part that says 315 with marks at 45deg or whatever each side of top and a mark at dead astern. Pity it hasn't got solar cells.

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
"....the readout gives a bearing relative to a fixed point...."

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting you/we cannot relate to Bearings Relative to Ship's Head i.e. 'Relative Bearings'? If so, perhaps another dose of RYA Dayskipper Course - or even Competent Crew - might be needed.

I'm much more concerned with the following.....

[ QUOTE ]
"....Measures windspeed beyond 180 km/h...."

[/ QUOTE ]

In old money, that's over 112mph ....er, 97kts ....er, lots of Beaufort. Well beyond my shrieking threshold!

Don't think I'd be reading the instruments at that stage, but well into the second round of 'Our Fathers' and 'Hail Marys'.....

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif