Woodskin

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Having read the tin in the chandlery and been impressed I've recommended this stuff to others a couple of times - now I'm pondering on using International Woodskin myself on two lengths of new teak on gunwales, exposed to the elements, and possibly a cockpit table. Has anyone used it? It looks easy enough to apply ... does it wear well in sunlight or does it need renewing every year? It doesn't look as though it peels like varnish but rather soaks into the wood. Does it keep the teak looking natural which is what I think it claims? Do you need to treat the teak with anything before using it, eg degreaser? ... or any other info ... please?

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
I'm pondering on using International Woodskin on a couple of lengths of new teak, exposed to the elements. Has anyone used it? It looks easy enough to apply ... does it wear well in sunlight or does it need renewing every year? It doesn't look as though it peels like varnish but rather soaks into the wood. Does it keep the teak looking natural which is what I think it claims? Do you need to treat the teak with anything before using it, eg degreaser? ... or any other info ... please?

I have used, and am still using, its predecessor Sikkens Cetol Marine. Without doubt the most satisfactory of the various products and snake oils that I have tried. Although not a high gloss finish like varnish of course

I do renew every year but that only means a light sand and recoat without any of the problems associated with flaking varnish.

It does contain some pigment so not quite the same appearance as varnish,

I cannot comment on the colour of Woodskin as the Cetol I am using is "natural" whereas Woodskin is, I believe, teak coloured

See International's decription of the product at http://www.yachtpaint.com/gbr/diy/products/varnishes/woodskin.aspx
and the data sheet for details of preparation and application at http://www.yachtpaint.com/MPYACMDatasheets/Woodskin+eng+A4+Y+20141215.pdf

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Having read the tin in the chandlery and been impressed I've recommended this stuff to others a couple of times - now I'm pondering on using International Woodskin myself on two lengths of new teak on gunwales, exposed to the elements, and possibly a cockpit table.

I used it on teak capping rails. It was a disaster. About a third of it stuck reasonably but the rest loosened and leaked, resulting in golden (where it stuck), yellow (where it was loose) and black (where it had leaked) patches. The loose and leaking stuff was easy to take off but the rest required arduous mechanical removal. Never again. I have seen good reports here, but never yet of use for exposed teak. Like everything else, the oil of teak seems to fight it.

Having met a 10 year old Nauticat in the Crinan Canal and asked how they managed stunning teak, I took their advice and now use all three stages of Teak Wonder (cleaner, lightener, sealer) which is working well.

MOBY2

Visit site
Hi, took all my varnish off last year on all woodwork unfortunately due to weather could only get 1 coat on and had to wait 3 months for the next fine spell before a further 2 coats applied, as mentioned not a high gloss finish but that said not bad at all, nice to use but best of all any bits scuffed rub down and touch in and all good, think if you get 3 to 4 coats on first then you have a good base to build on, my plan is light rub down and a coat when lifted out then the same before she goes back in, not quite so susceptible to moisture and temps as varnish and does not peel like varnish, most of mine is teak.

NPMR

Visit site
Our experience is that it darkens the teak cockpit table and does not give a high gloss but a very nice finish and durable. I give it a light sanding before re-coating but as stated before no flaking.

Coats need to be thin, otherwise it can take days to 'dry'

Arcady

Visit site
I applied eight coats to bare teak and was pleased with the results. After five years it needed further attention: probably sanding down plus a fresh coat or two would have been sufficient- but I sold the boat at that point.

On my latest project I have used Le Tonkinois, which is gorgeous to apply, but one year on I’m not so sure it’s going to last as well as the Woodskin. As advised by others, Woodskin does have a slight brown tint.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Thanks all, particularly VicS for the links. Seems to have more pros than cons. Good wipe down with Thinners No 1 first seems the way to go, then 3 or more coats ... :encouragement:

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
I scraped all my exposed teak back to remove old varnish and patina 18 months ago, then slapped on 3 coats of wood skin. As others have said it has a golden sort of colour which I thoroughly like. 18 months later it looks exactly the same as the day I finished the third coat. Finish is sort of ‘satin’. If gloss matters on your teak you will have to varnish and scrape in regular cycles. If not, woodskin is the answer.

KREW2

Visit site
I removed my tiller and used woodskin on it, I did it in a cold garage and it took days to dry.
So I commandeered the dining table and did it in the house.
That was 2 years ago, and the finish still looks good.

Little Dorrit

Visit site
Having read the tin in the chandlery and been impressed I've recommended this stuff to others a couple of times - now I'm pondering on using International Woodskin myself on two lengths of new teak on gunwales, exposed to the elements, and possibly a cockpit table. Has anyone used it? It looks easy enough to apply ... does it wear well in sunlight or does it need renewing every year? It doesn't look as though it peels like varnish but rather soaks into the wood. Does it keep the teak looking natural which is what I think it claims? Do you need to treat the teak with anything before using it, eg degreaser? ... or any other info ... please?

Woodskin may be a great product but don't expect a great finish. If you want that 'WOW' factor then go for a traditaional varnish. The initial work involved is significant, but keep on top of it annually and IMHO a better soulution... unless of course you simply want a quick and easy option.

Last edited:

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Woodskin may be a great product but don't expect a great finish. If you want that 'WOW' factor then go for a traditaional varnish. The initial work involved is significant, but keep on top of it annually and IMHO a better soulution... unless of course you simply want a quick and easy option.

Thanks but the last thing I want is traditional varnish! ... I don't need a shiny WOW factor! ... :)

Bob_Ranft

Visit site
Found it easy to use, but as others have stated, needs a few coats. Think I've got seven coats on the teak toe rail now.

But, if there is any trace of old varnish on the teak, it does not last. Best to degrease with actone or similar.

Usually wash down with white spirit at start of season and apply one or two coats.

Moisture can get under woodskin at joints due to expansion and contraction, which turns the wood dark. But probably better than normal varnish in this respect. For me the semi gloss finish and colour is more than exceptable over teak.

Bob

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
That's looking good ... how long since you first did them?

I take it back to the bare wood about every 5 years, but each year just a quick light sand and one coat. best thing as said if scratched it is two minute job to touch up.

I also use it inside the saloon, again lightly sanded and 'rollered' it on and then just lightly feathered off with a brush, still good after five years just wipe over every year with
wash leather

View attachment 67970View attachment 67971