woodcare

Danthegorrila

in med on way to ........ home used to be in Cumbr
Visit site
Living aboard our 1988 Westerly Sealord we have decided that over winter we are going to tidy up the saloon.

It is standard Westerly finish on light oak.

Over the years, some black staining has occured on the ply in places.We have found that a light rub with sand paper removes this, but then obviously the whole pannel needs re-varnishing. So this is the question, what kind of varnish did Westerly use or has anyone found something that produces a similar finish?

Is it matt or satin etc?

If anyone in the forum is a member of the Westerly Owners Ass could you re post this for me and ake for answers to be forwarded to tighmara@hotmail.com.

Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>PB

smee

Visit site
I have spoken to several people who have revarnished the interior of their boats, and all swear that you can't get better than Ronseal Matt Varnish (as in B&Q etc). You don't get brush marks, and as one person said you could paint it on with a broom, and whats more it gives the wood that fresh from the showroom look that new boats have.... (though obviously not the shiny plasticy Sunseeker glazed look!). Try it on an offcut if you don't believe me but I'm sure your'll be hooked!

<hr width=100% size=1>

johnwest

Visit site
The finish Westerlys used on the interior woodwork is button polish, similar to
french polish, and finished off with a spay on laquar for protection.

<hr width=100% size=1>