WOOD CORE/EPOXY BOATS

G

WE HAVE SEEN A 45'DECKSALOON KETCH, THAT FITS OUR REQUIREMENTS PERFECTLY. THE BOAT WAS CUSTOM BUILT 93 IN TURKEY BY DENYAT LTD.IT IS CONSTRUCTED IN WOOD CORE (MAHOGANY)EPOXY HULL AND SUPERSTRUCTURE.ANY OPINIONS PLEASE ON THIS TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION?

G

Excellent method of construction...

...provided the drinks cupboard is roomy, the fridge is efficient, and there is room for at least 4 sunloungers on the cabin top and a cot in the corner.

What you waiting for?

PS Try posting this on 'Scuttlebutt' (see pick a forum at top of main page).

G

Epoxy saturated strip planking (usually in cedar)is a very good method of construction, in principle. But to be effective, it needs to be done in properly controlled conditions by people who know what they are doing. I would advise a careful examination of the builder's credentials before going ahead. I say this not because I know anything against the builder you mention but because I don't know anything about them at all.

Assuming all is well, epoxy saturated wood is arguably the prefered modern method for constructing one-off yachts which combine light weight, strength and durability. Steel and aluminium afficionados will argue the toss, of course.

Properly used, the material should have a life span apaproaching that of GRP without the threat of osmosis. In other respects it has all the advantages of wood - easily worked and repaired, good insulating properties, attractive etc.

If you want to know more about the material, I suggest you contact Yachting World. Its editor, Andrew Bray has recently completed a 42 footer using this method and has written a long series of articles about the project.