Wintering 2015/2016 Spain recommendations

damsis44

Visit site
Oi, Trident, I thought we agreed to post only bad reports about Cartagena, to discourage too many people from turning up, so that we can guarantee our berths for next winter?

Seriously, I would agree with those recommending Cartagena, we have had a great winter here in YPC, good weather, little rain (saying that it's chucking it down right now), a few days when the wind has blown from the wrong direction and some surge has crept round the marina, but nothing to make us wish we'd been elsewhere. The office staff are very helpful, the marineros are 'on the ball', the facilities are very clean, and they don't charge the 50% premium for multihulls. We are paying around E380 including electric, water and VAT for 11.15m, but this rate includes boats up to 13m, so pretty reasonable.
It might be worth an e-mail to both YPC and RCNC to see who will do the best deal, they seem to like to compete for business.
The town is fab too, very Spanish, very friendly, lots to see and do, excellent tapas bars and restaurants, good shops, excellent fresh food market, choice of supermarkets, two chandlers, DIY store a bus-ride away....I could go on but I think you get the idea......

hoges in wa

Visit site
Looking like Cartagena for winter

Cartagena is firming up as our preferred wintering hole.
However, we have been told that there are actually two marinas there.
Any suggestions as to one over the other? What does one have that the other doesn't.
We have no car so closer to town is attractive to us, but we don't know which is which.
We heard that one has a pool, but at that time of year I'm not sure it's all that much of a drawcard.....

Hoges

Trident

Visit site
Both are right next to each other so location is not really an issue
Yacht Port cartagena has almost all the the liveaboards over winter - I think the marina next door called Real Club de Regattas Cartagena (which has the pool but its closed after September) had two liveaboards all winter compared to 50 odd in YPC. Rates are near identical but check with both. Having seen both I am glad I chose YPC - especially when the cruise ships are in as they disgorge 3000 people right past (5 yards) where most of the RCdeRC clients are berthed whilst YPC is secure behind locked gates and whilst only 50 yards from the other marina its not on the route all the old folks take to see the sights as they leave their ships so much more quiet and private. With a ship every 2 days or so except in January and Feb its quite a good reason to choose one over the other but both have plenty of space and no need to book so you could turn up and see both first before choosing.

hoges in wa

Visit site
Thanks for that. Makes it sound like an easy choice. Getting a quote now. Off to Tunisia first to restart our VAT clock then back up to Corsica and around before settling for the winter in Spain.

Re the Non-residency of the EU, we go home for a few months each year and we are aware of Schengen days.
Hoges

sula1

Visit site
Hi all,
We are also considering wintering either in Cartagena or Aguadulce. We are going to be onboard for about 2 or 3 months of the 5 months we'll be not sailing.
We have a 4 years old girl with us, so we are wondering if Aguadulce, though quite a bit cheaper than Cartagena, would provide enough to do in the winter.
Anybody with experience wintering there with children?

Thanks in advance

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Our favourite was Rota a proper Spanish village with no 'all day English breakfasts'. Cadiz is nice and in walking distance of the city on the seawall. We didn't like Almerimar and felt the marina is not secure and couldn't wait to get away, I was fixing a water pump.

ripvan1

Visit site
Bit late coming in here but my penny's worth is Fuengirola - long time since I was there on boat so can't say about swell. However have been back to rent apartment last few years running as we really like the place. Go back 2 streets off the main drag and it's a proper working town. All the shops you need, 40 minutes to Malaga and its airport for approx 4E (which is a really swish city now) by train. Marina is in town and with so many restaurants competing, prices are down whilst quality is good.

finikeyachting

www.finikeyachting.com
Dear Hoges,

I recommend you Finike Marina if you did not decide yet where to go.
Finike is my hometown and has a well protected marina with worldwide sailin community liveaboarders.
Marina prices less than Eu countries and service quality is the top.
Please have a look client comments on noonsite for Finike:
http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Turkey/Countries/Turkey/wintering-in-finike

If you need more info feel free to email me finikeyachting (at) gmail dot com

Regards,

Samet
Hi all. It's that time of the year again when we plan where we think we might go. As usual, we don't know for sure but we do like to have an endpoint in mind.

We are on our way out of the Med and are currently in Licata. We are thinking of somewhere like Almerimar and have asked for a quote from them.

Are there other wintering holes we don't know about that are worth considering? We want calm waters i.e. wind is unavoidable but swell in a marina is a no-no (e.g. Santa Maria de Leuca). Close to or in town (like here in Licata, or Finike, or Monastir etc). Good showers etc.

Recommendations gratefully received and will be researched.

Hoges

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
We didn't like Amerimar it's an ugly concrete jungle with no secutiry. Our favourite place was Rota, nice marina, pretty Spanish village, great Spanish restaurants and food a short walk away. Most importantly no "All day English breakfasts". Get to a resaurant by 9- 930 pm the Spanish come out at 10 pm and you won't get a table.

capnsensible

Visit site
Rota is indeed one of my favourites on that coast near Cadiz.

Worth pointing out though that its actually a fair sized town that is home to a sprawling US /Spanish Naval Port and Airbase. Fun to watch the fast jets, helicopters and Cargo planes every day!

What it lacks in breakfasts it makes up for in Burger Bars catering to the US Forces and their families.

Well worth a visit.

Contest1

Visit site
If you are still undecided Guardamars Marina de las Dunas has a lot to offer. Fees include water and electricity. During the recent mini huricane the poontoon moorings proved secure and comfortable.
Guardamar de Segura is a nice Spanish town about 25 minutes walk along the dunes paths.
All year round resturant and cantina, good showers and toilets plus security though this seems unnecessary as theres no crime according to long stay live aboards.
I bought there in June and am staying aboard on and off since. My visitors all love the place.