Winter wildlife

johnalison

Visit site
I am lucky enough to see frequent reminders of the richness of our local wildlife in winter. The other day I went round to Layer Breton causeway and a dark shape on the ice turned out to be a buzzard picking at the remains of a swan. I watched it for about twenty minutes before I nearly froze too. As an experiment, I put my compact camera to the telescope eyepiece, and in spite of it being hand-held, one or two photos came out. It's hardly high quality, which is why I am putting it here, so that the experts won't see it.

buzzard_zps4bddfe5c.jpg

Firefly

Visit site
Considering how it was taken that is a very good photo. Doubt if a buzzard would bring down a swan, unless already injured.

Tam Lin

Visit site
I was amazed when I found out that we have buzzards in Essex. Thought I saw one near Manningtree several years ago then was surprised when one took up residence on our school field! Since then I have noticed them around from time to time. I have lived all my life in Essex and have to say that I have only seen them for the last 5 - 10 years. Essex doesn't seem the right kind of county for these kind of birds but they seem to be doing OK. I was told that some were released in woods near Brightlingsea a while back but I don't know how true this is. Great photo BTW.