Winter Shipyard Storage - Sicily... or?

trevennelrich

Visit site
I have a 40' yacht in Western Turkey. Planning on sailing through Greece to Corfu in Sep/Oct this year before putting her ashore for the winter somewhere. I intend to sail her back to the UK in Spring 2024, so ideally will leave her somewhere roughly on the way. I was thinking about Sicily - we have family connections there. Any feedback on trustworthy locations in Sicily, or other recommendations?

Quiddle

Visit site
I can advise against Licata Yacht Service. Had an agreed date for 4 day lift out in March, confirmed 2 days before. On the day nobody was there. Whatsapp enquiry read but unanswered. I was told by two others that their work was half completed by yard then abandoned, leaving them stranded ashore.
I only berthed for a couple of nights at Marine Sifredi, Carloforte (SW Sardinia) but it was well run and the yard seemed tidy.

Last edited:

trevennelrich

Visit site
I can advise against Licata Yacht Service. Had an agreed date for 4 day lift out in March, confirmed 2 days before. On the day nobody was there. Whatsapp enquiry read but unanswered. I was told by two others that their work was half completed by yard then abandoned, leaving them stranded ashore.
I only berthed for a couple of nights at Marine Sifredi, Carloforte (SW Sardinia) but it was well run and the yard seemed tidy.
Thanks, I'll look at Marine Sifredi

sailaboutvic

Visit site
TO make it clear Licata yacht services has nothing to do with the yard , they do work there tho .
Giuseppe is the man to talk to ,
after 6 winters in the marina I not hear anyone moan about Giuseppe .
I Do agree Quiddie I too wouldn’t let LYS touch my boat.
have you thought about asking a price for a winter contract in the marina , I not been there for two years now but it was a good price .

Quiddle

Visit site
TO make it clear Licata yacht services has nothing to do with the yard , they do work there tho .
Giuseppe is the man to talk to ,
after 6 winters in the marina I not hear anyone moan about Giuseppe .
I Do agree Quiddie I too wouldn’t let LYS touch my boat.
have you thought about asking a price for a winter contract in the marina , I not been there for two years now but it was a good price .
I was in Licata for a year, next berth to you in fact until you sold your boat. It's Giuseppe that I'm talking about....hopeless. Getting anything done there is a joke.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I was in Licata for a year, next berth to you in fact until you sold your boat. It's Giuseppe that I'm talking about....hopeless. Getting anything done there is a joke.
Ok got you , LBS is the young guy Elia ( well everyone start to look young at my age ) 😉
And Elia for sure I wouldn't have him touch my boat , Mathew not much better .
But the boat yard I had them haul out my boat in 2014 and again in 2022 when it haul out for survey both time it was haul on time actually in 2021 there was some wind coming on the day book and although he was busy he haul me out two days earlier.
I agree his not good in email or SMS but he fine if you call him and although his English isn't great he will make an effort.
Your experience sound much different then what I had but then I only used them to haul out which is what I think the OP looking for .
But hey hope your keeping well .

To the OP there a newest yard in Malta right in the dock there where very good on prices for hualing , I had a friend cat haul out there two nights hard standing while I did some work on it and if I remember right it was around €400 .

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Thanks, I'll look at Marine Sifredi
That's my second (almost first, by now!) home - in fact, it's where I'm writing from right now.
They definitely can lift and keep your 40' sailboat ashore, but not sheltered, just FYI.
For anything more specific, feel free to ask.

MapisM

Visit site
It is very nice indeed, but not so much for overwintering.
Stone-dead is the best way I can think of, for describing P.Cervo and P.Rotondo in the winter.
Palau, Santa Teresa and Castelsardo are a bit better, but not much.
Not to mention that weather can get much more cold and windy than anyone would expect in Sardinia, up there!

Clancy Moped

Visit site
We wintered over last winter in Porto del Etna boatyard (Riposto). Very good experience overall. Check out their website and email an enquiry.
We past through for a couple of nights, Etna had a small eruption and we got covered with the ash, I was still finding bits of it years later.

Not us but you get the idea.

FB_IMG_16151123885020465.jpg

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It is very nice indeed, but not so much for overwintering.
Stone-dead is the best way I can think of, for describing P.Cervo and P.Rotondo in the winter.
Palau, Santa Teresa and Castelsardo are a bit better, but not much.
Not to mention that weather can get much more cold and windy than anyone would expect in Sardinia, up there!
I was in P.Cervo in September and it was deader than a dead thing, windy and cold as well.