Winter sailing

dancrane

Visit site
Helps if not tied to work...
Never a truer word. Not just in winter, either. So many days lost to work, and so many days not working, spent just recovering.

But that again advances the case for a wheelhouse, ideally heated. Then any dates one plans or fixes in advance, at any time of year, can be kept and enjoyed. I've known so many weekends planned, then dashed by the weather because nobody who was involved, fancied sitting outside in the rain, me included.

Today in the Solent, for instance, is easily as ghastly as yesterday was pleasant. If one had happily and hopefully sailed away yesterday with the intention (or necessity) of returning today, the cruise would have been much better cancelled.

Or enjoyed on both days, aboard a motorsailer.

Last edited:

nevis768

Visit site
Never a truer word. Not just in winter, either. So many days lost to work, and so many days not working, spent just recovering.

But that again advances the case for a wheelhouse, ideally heated. Then any dates one plans or fixes in advance, at any time of year, can be kept and enjoyed. I've known so many weekends planned, then dashed by the weather because nobody who was involved, fancied sitting outside in the rain, me included.

Today in the Solent, for instance, is easily as ghastly as yesterday was pleasant. If one had happily and hopefully sailed away yesterday with the intention (or necessity) of returning today, the cruise would have been much better cancelled.

Or enjoyed on both days, aboard a motorsailer.
Having winter climbed, and sailed regularly for 40 years in open boats, (my other boat is a Falmouth bass boat trailer sailer) I've had enough crap weather on the Scottish west and north coast to last me a lifetime. (I'm an Orkneyman) I now go sailing whatever the forecast, and if it's really wet I put the windscreen wipers on. On safety grounds I have banned my wife from wearing her dressing gown/slippers in the wheelhouse while the boat is sailing. I rarely motor, the wheelhouse is quite low, and she sails quite well to windward. Personally, I wouldn't fancy something like a Fisher, due to poorer windward performance, but each to his own. But, for sure, my days of standing in the rain/snow are gone, done too much of it...

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Having winter climbed, and sailed regularly for 40 years in open boats, (my other boat is a Falmouth bass boat trailer sailer) I've had enough crap weather on the Scottish west and north coast to last me a lifetime. (I'm an Orkneyman) I now go sailing whatever the forecast, and if it's really wet I put the windscreen wipers on. On safety grounds I have banned my wife from wearing her dressing gown/slippers in the wheelhouse while the boat is sailing. I rarely motor, the wheelhouse is quite low, and she sails quite well to windward. Personally, I wouldn't fancy something like a Fisher, due to poorer windward performance, but each to his own. But, for sure, my days of standing in the rain/snow are gone, done too much of it...
I might make a similar decision if I lived in Scotland. But we made the decision to move to the most sail friendly part of our sceptred Isle when we retired, it's definitely not as cold.

dunedin

Visit site
Clearly open boats are very differnt. But highish freeboard and good long sprayhood (ideally with Nordic windscreen) means very rarely get wet - only if heavy rain plus brisk wind from astern. Very rare to wear oilskins even in winter - though tech clothing and warm hat always.

GHA

Visit site
Sod that cold winter stuff!! Sorry to gloat but not really 😂😂 Anchorage to myself today, shorts n teeshirt up a hill for some piccys.
Winter sailing is just great.

Not too tricky a whereisit..

c9ixbcs.jpg

Last edited: