Winter Preparations (Land and sea)

Talulah

Visit site
When packing up the boat for the winter and taking stuff home you may want to consider taking some additional items:
Oil lantern and oil
Torches including head torches
Generator
Boat BBQ
Sleeping bags and duvets

Any other suggestions?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Candles & flower pots
Actually you might be better off leaving it on the boat, ready to escape as far away from europe as possible when the action kicks off.
Where would one go? That is the main question. I reckon South Africa. But perhaps the answer is too political for the forum.
Another thread might be fun-- If allowed

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I'll add lifejackets as I've had one automatically inflate onboard.

Sending mine away for servicing this year, but other items I would ad to those already listed:

Bunk cushions
All running rigging (for washing)
Crockery/cutlery (except for kettle/mugs for tea/coffee during lay-up)
Spray hood
PLB
Binoculars (useful for ’bird watching during Winter)
Life raft
Inflatable dinghy (inflate, wash with fresh water, allow to dry and store)

johnalison

Visit site
Sending mine away for servicing this year, but other items I would ad to those already listed:

Bunk cushions
All running rigging (for washing)
Crockery/cutlery (except for kettle/mugs for tea/coffee during lay-up)
Spray hood
PLB
Binoculars (useful for ’bird watching during Winter)
Life raft
Inflatable dinghy (inflate, wash with fresh water, allow to dry and store)
I used to take bunk cushions home from our Sadler 29 but our current ones are far too many and large, and some are fixed, so I rely on a dehumidifier. Clearly the routine will vary according to the boat.
I also leave electronics on board but take my IS binos home. I have never bothered with the dinghy or liferaft, or galley stuff other than perishables (and not always them either, sadly)
I have old sprayhood and cockpit cover for use in the winter. They are not pretty but do the job.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
We don't take anything home other than bedding.

Cutlery, crockery, liferaft, why?

Cutlery/crockery to give it all a good wash better than we can on the boat.
Liferaft, is valise packed kept below decks, taking it home gives extra room in cabin to work and ‘spring clean,,
All boat bits and pieces get a good clean and inspection over the Winter, so are as pristine as I can get them for the next season.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Lifejackets, sails, cushions, sleeping bags - anything the mice would like to use for bedding. We also take the 12V lead/acid battery, the fixed and handheld VHF sets, and the handheld GPS unit, which together comprise the entire electronics set-up. I'm not sure how the electronics would fare, but I know the battery would freeze solid if it were to discharge for any reason over winter in Canada's central Great Lakes.