Winter in the Western Med

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Planning to move the boat (and ourselves) to Southern France in the not too distant future.

Plan to settle/berth the boat somewhere between Perpignan and the Spanish border.

Was wondering what the Winter (sailing) weather was like in that part of the world.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Planning to move the boat (and ourselves) to Southern France in the not too distant future.

Plan to settle/berth the boat somewhere between Perpignan and the Spanish border.

Was wondering what the Winter (sailing) weather was like in that part of the world.

Pretty miserable.
Can be very cold. Very rough. And very windy.

Up to 180kmh while we were there.

It is not for nothing that the Mondial du Vent windsurfing competition is held every year there at the beginning of April. Plenty of wind and waves.

Our neighbours got beaten up+ by the weather there after sailing across the Atlantic.
They said the Atlantic was like a pond in comparison to that area of the med.

+ broken arm requiring hospital visit.

Bouba

Visit site
I’m not that far west (where it might be a bit more windy) ...but I am a winter boater...and winters can be graded from bloody awful to bloody awesome. I love winter boating...and even a poor winter will have some great days...or weeks.
I don’t know your waters but mine are so beautiful that to have it to myself is a real privilege

Travelling Westerly

Visit site
Im here right now wintering. Got a fantastic winter marina deal for 6 months.
It can be very windy, only a week ago or so a sailing boat went onto the rocks in a big blow with both crew unfortunately deceased.
However Im also out swimming most days and messing around in the dingy still.
Very busy at weekends still when wind is not too strong. I like it and good place to carry on cruising next year after some boat work. Lovely area to explore inland too.

Bouba

Visit site
Im here right now wintering. Got a fantastic winter marina deal for 6 months.
It can be very windy, only a week ago or so a sailing boat went onto the rocks in a big blow with both crew unfortunately deceased.
However Im also out swimming most days and messing around in the dingy still.
Very busy at weekends still when wind is not too strong. I like it and good place to carry on cruising next year after some boat work. Lovely area to explore inland too.

From where you are you could go for lunch in Barcelona when it’s too windy to boat

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Do you intend to liveaboard in the winter months?

No.

Our house in Brittany is currently on the market.
When it sells, we intend to move to the area.
We'd be spending no more than 2-3 weeks afloat at a time (mainly in Summer).
In Winter, it would be mostly daysailing. Much like I do now in Brittany.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
No.

Our house in Brittany is currently on the market.
When it sells, we intend to move to the area.
We'd be spending no more than 2-3 weeks afloat at a time (mainly in Summer).
In Winter, it would be mostly daysailing. Much like I do now in Brittany.
To be clear, there are nice days with sun shine, flat water and a gentle breeze in winter. But that is certainly not the majority if days.
If you have the flexibility to choose your days, then you will do a reasonable amount of sailing in winter here.

If you are constrained and have to reserve the time in advance, you will be disappointed, as it will often be that that is the day you really should stay at home with the central heating turned up.

The area of coastline along the Spanish/French border is well worth exploring. But be careful. Bad weather can spring up remarkably quickly. Make sure you have a good alternate destination port where you can head to if when you get caught out,

colind3782

Visit site
We’re based in Empuriabrava and it rarely gets too cold. Many of the restaurants close for the winter but many others stay open. The strong north wind, the Tramontana, usually lasts for a few days at a time but the sea is generally calm(ish!). When the wind is from the south it can create some rough seas and swell into the Bay of Roses. You also have the choice of Santa Margarita and Roses, although I prefer Empuriabrava. Twenty minutes or so to the AVE train station for the fast train to Barcelona or Paris etc. I’m there next week to put the boat back in after winter maintenance so I can give you an update then!

capnsensible

Visit site
For a simply superb restaurant in Barcelona, el Caracol in the old quarter is hard to beat.

Clancy Moped put us on to this when we were in Barcelona a couple of months ago, best recommend I've ever had !

My parents used to have an apartment in Lescala, south of Empuria Brava. I liked it but winters could get a bit cold and very windy. Still you get lots of places to yourselves.....

Marina there, La Calota if memory serves me right.

dgadee

Visit site
Barcelona totally changed after the Olympics. Last time I was there I was pick pocketed and the Ramblas had signs (in English) saying not to defecate in the street. It used to be lovely with Spanish families wandering up and down it. I was in Zaragoza frequently and loved that mountain train ride from Barcelona, too.

How things change.