Winter in the water

martin

Visit site
Hi,

Considerin leavin her in the water this year and need a bit of advice.

1) What type of heaters are best and where do you put em...

2) I have noticed that the bilges are getting some water in. (think its running down the inside of the radar arch).is it important that the whole boat is dry inside ?

3) If leave heaters on do I need to winterise domestic systems i.e. WC and tanks?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Its all been said before but.
I just fitted a new greenhouse heater this week.
Fit two small, about two foot green house heaters in engine room. Mine cost £8-50 each.
Looked all over for the things and then found them in local comercial electic dealer, try City Electrics.
Get a dehumidifier and stick on sink or work top with pipe down into sink. (Take the plug out).
Rest depends on where the boat is and type and chance of freezing.
Dont forget antifreeze in the engines.
Maybe drain fresh water system. I dont bother in Plymouth cos it nearly never freezes.
You could just add more greenhouse heaters where you see fit.

Haydn

Scubadoo

Visit site
I use two Oil filled Rad heaters (Honeywell Mini £25-35) - one for the engine bay and the other in the cabin, you can get them from either B&Q or Argos, they are rated at 600watts.

I also just use DeHumidify crystals available from most DIY (try Homebase), I have a simple damp gauge monitor and seems to keep it below damp conditions (i.e. less than 70%).

I try to keep my bilge dry. I tend to empty my water tank but this year I might not bother. Like HLB has said make sure you have antifreeze in you engine cooling system.

Remember the boat stays warmer sitting in the water and hopefully if the power goes to the heaters it won't cause a problem. If it gets particularly below freezing I would tend to go and check things more often.

On those icy days remember to be careful on the pontoons - early this year I nearly slid off into the water!

RM.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
In addition to all the above (heaters/dehumidifier/antifreeze/dry & clean the bilges) leave all cupboards open, internal cabin doors open, and fridge(s) open.

Piers du Pre
MBM Cruising Club enthusiast

david_bagshaw

Visit site
dont rely on heaters, they might go off!!

Personaly I always:-

Heaters

The black element type placed in the cabin areas x2 Saloon x1 engine room x1

Drain Water tanks- it might freeze, but any way be stale next year, and raises hull any way.

Plumbing

drain or antifreeze with "drinking" grade antifreeze, as sods law suggests the pipe with a pocket that splits will be the one behind the galley oven.

Black water & deck plumbing & tanks also need to be drained

Engines

Anti freeze has been mentioned , but dont forget the "seawater" side as well.

Loos Anti freeze as well

Shower pumps ditto

Dehumidifiers

dont forget the condensate might freeze in the sink waste system & some insureres dont like anything left on other than black heat heaters, ie no fans.

Have fun

David ps Take a look at my site www.yachtman.co.uk