Winter in canaries and summer in the med?

davethedog

Visit site
Morning all,

Currently based in the canaries (with Spanish residencia) and although we love it been here for 2 years and thinking of travelling about a bit more.

So, has anyone experienced doing winter in the canaries (Oct to March) and then heading north and spending Apr to sep in the med and then had back to the canaries for October (to have the better weather for the winter).

DTD

roblpm

Visit site
Is there any vat problem with that? Can someone summarise canaries vat? Not for the boat necessarily but parts bought etc?

balder

Visit site
Non considering Carribean, a perfect plan!
But you must not forget that sail from the Canaries islands to Gib, via Madeira or not, requires gentle winds and more or less no swell.... ( and also no annual meeting of orcas!)

From Gib to Lanzarote when we came the first time, we had F6 but with following seas ...
Aboard Balder VIII
Santa Cruz de Tenerife

syvictoria

Visit site
Morning all,

Currently based in the canaries (with Spanish residencia) and although we love it been here for 2 years and thinking of travelling about a bit more.

So, has anyone experienced doing winter in the canaries (Oct to March) and then heading north and spending Apr to sep in the med and then had back to the canaries for October (to have the better weather for the winter).

DTD

Do you or your spouse/civil partner have alternative (non UK) citizenship, so as to enable you to stay in Schengen for ~180 days consecutively (Apr to Sep)?

davethedog

Visit site
Yes we have Spanish residencia so can remain in Spain as long as we want and appreciate all the advice ref sailing northwards, as I know that can be a pain from experience.

Current thinking is head north and spend the summer in the Spanish med and the balaerics for the first period and then possibly head back to the canaries as it starts to get worse weather.

davethedog

Visit site
Forgot to add we donot really want to go across to the Caribbean yet as we have a dog to think of and also an aging relative we want to be within easyish flight times and availability in case they fall ill etc.

Will go across at some stage but not yet.

capnsensible

Visit site
Yes we have Spanish residencia so can remain in Spain as long as we want and appreciate all the advice ref sailing northwards, as I know that can be a pain from experience.

Current thinking is head north and spend the summer in the Spanish med and the balaerics for the first period and then possibly head back to the canaries as it starts to get worse weather.
Don't forget Atlantic Spain. It's an area I know well, from Trafalgar to the border with Portugal.

As an idea for a few weeks, there is Ayamonte, the river to Seville and Cadiz.

Entering the Straits, the place I don't know about is the new marina in Tangier. Gets a good report but might be better on the way out.

Opposite Gib is Spanish Ceuta, one of my favourites, then round the corner to Moroccan Smir.

All this might give you a fab month or two before you even go along the costa del sol.

If you pit stop here on the way, can meet for top tips.....?

syvictoria

Visit site

Ah... I see, Spanish Med, not other Med. My apologies.