Winter afloat - batteries, solar and hull anode

syvictoria

Visit site
The older I get, the more anxious I seem to have become about the small stuff! Sadly this season has been a non event for us due to commitments back in the UK, and, as we prepare to winterize the boat, my anxieties are once again rising!!!!

Our boat spends her winters (6-7 months) alone, currently afloat in salt water in the Netherlands. I usually disconnect the negative on our starter battery (a Red Start, about 5 years old) and leave the domestics (a pair of Trojans, 10+ years old!) connected to our 100W solar panel via an old PWM controller. On arriving back on board in the spring, the domestics have always been at 100% and the starter at 12.5-12.6V. In recent years, the domestics have, unsurprisingly, gradually needed more topping up throughout the year (although I've fortunately only ever had one plate 'just' showing above the electrolyte level on one occasion). I'm wondering this year however, about disconnecting all the negatives, and also removing the solar controller fuse (but leaving the panel uncovered?)... Or should I just continue with the old tried and tested regime?

This autumn, we haven't as yet (and regretfully are unlikely to) had a chance to check/change our hull anode (Al, fitted Aug 2023). We've previously done this whilst afloat, but water conditions aren't very suitable here (too cloudy for our little camera to be of any use, and dirty and cold!). We may therefore opt to just dangle another one over the side. This would perhaps seem prudent? That said, the previous zinc one lasted for 4 years! This is our first aluminum anode, and hence my worries. It will imminently get a blind scrub with the deck brush!

This winter, one of our neighbours is a steel boat, the other GRP. We (also GRP) don't use shore power and we've never had a galvanic isolator fitted. Both neighbours are connected to the shore power. Again, should I take any additional precautions this year?

Do I worry too much? Almost certainty, YES! Please reassure me - and please be kind!! As always, TIA!

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The older I get, the more anxious I seem to have become about the small stuff! Sadly this season has been a non event for us due to commitments back in the UK, and, as we prepare to winterize the boat, my anxieties are once again rising!!!!

Our boat spends her winters (6-7 months) alone, currently afloat in salt water in the Netherlands. I usually disconnect the negative on our starter battery (a Red Start, about 5 years old) and leave the domestics (a pair of Trojans, 10+ years old!) connected to our 100W solar panel via an old PWM controller. On arriving back on board in the spring, the domestics have always been at 100% and the starter at 12.5-12.6V. In recent years, the domestics have, unsurprisingly, gradually needed more topping up throughout the year (although I've fortunately only ever had one plate 'just' showing above the electrolyte level on one occasion). I'm wondering this year however, about disconnecting all the negatives, and also removing the solar controller fuse (but leaving the panel uncovered?)... Or should I just continue with the old tried and tested regime?
I'd stick to what you usually do, the batteries shouldn't need topping up if not in use. If you can change the settings of the solar controller (doubtful if it's a cheapy) i'd set all voltages to the float voltage.
This autumn, we haven't as yet (and regretfully are unlikely to) had a chance to check/change our hull anode (Al, fitted Aug 2023). We've previously done this whilst afloat, but water conditions aren't very suitable here (too cloudy for our little camera to be of any use, and dirty and cold!). We may therefore opt to just dangle another one over the side. This would perhaps seem prudent? That said, the previous zinc one lasted for 4 years! This is our first aluminum anode, and hence my worries. It will imminently get a blind scrub with the deck brush!
Won't hurt to dangle a new one over the side, you can then use it next time the hull anode needs changing, so it's not going to be a waste.
This winter, one of our neighbours is a steel boat, the other GRP. We (also GRP) don't use shore power and we've never had a galvanic isolator fitted. Both neighbours are connected to the shore power. Again, should I take any additional precautions this year?

Do I worry too much? Almost certainty, YES! Please reassure me - and please be kind!! As always, TIA!
The extra anode is as much as you need to do, IMO, and that's just belt and braces.