Wing mirrors

Achosenman

Visit site
I've been giving this some thought and have been developing @lustyd 's idea and wonder if we can incorporate a trafficator into the 1960 Morgan rear view mirror concept. This would allow other boats to know that you were turning to port or starboard. Just need to re-engineer this to pop out of the toe rail or spreader.

View attachment 111497
You could offer a colour coordinated deluxe version, red on the right...er left um... ;)

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I think they're more to do with being parked, access into the cockpit when stern to. Sailing control is better with a big wheel imo (or tiller obvs)
I take it you are not accustomed to using twin wheels. Just to get past a large wheel one can alternatively have a folding or feathering wheel, more cheaply than complete duplication of mechanism.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
You could offer a colour coordinated deluxe version, red on the right...er left um... ;)
I had considered that, but that might confuse some when reversing and turning as port becomes starboard and vice versa.

There is the option of sounding three blasts, but that might get just a tad confusing on a busy Bank Holiday weekend and thus suggest that when reverse is selected, in the confines of a marina, an announcement "Yacht Reversing" is used every 30 seconds. Allowing usual sound signals to be used as normal on a river or at sea.

RobbieW

Visit site
I take it you are not accustomed to using twin wheels. Just to get past a large wheel one can alternatively have a folding or feathering wheel, more cheaply than complete duplication of mechanism.
I've sailed both (and tillers), I have much more leverage with a large single wheel or tiller. Its my understanding the twin wheel came about for the charter market

Achosenman

Visit site
I had considered that, but that might confuse some when reversing and turning as port becomes starboard and vice versa.

There is the option of sounding three blasts, but that might get just a tad confusing on a busy Bank Holiday weekend and thus suggest that when reverse is selected, in the confines of a marina, an announcement "Yacht Reversing" is used every 30 seconds. Allowing usual sound signals to be used as normal on a river or at sea.
You see, this is why you're the brains of the outfit...:cool:

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I've sailed both (and tillers), I have much more leverage with a large single wheel or tiller. Its my understanding the twin wheel came about for the charter market
That is certainly my "market"! But I thought the reason was mostly that over a certain size of yacht and (modern) width of stern, it is advantageous to steer a yacht which is heeling from the high side otherwise one can hardly see out! (Equivalent to using a tiller extension.)

Achosenman

Visit site
I think they're more to do with being parked, access into the cockpit when stern to. Sailing control is better with a big wheel imo (or tiller obvs)
I like this answer...
Sailboats are most effectively sailed by ensuring the sails have good airflow over them. This usually is done by watching small strips of light material stuck to the leading edge of the forward sails (and trailing edge of the back sails. To see these strips, called telltales, the person steering needs to be near the edge of the cockpit.

This was done by progressively larger and larger steering wheels, to get the rim of the wheel close enough to the edge of the cockpit that the person steering could reach it. This eventually huge wheel became an impediment to easy movement through the cockpit, as well as, on some sailboats, getting in the way of the mainsail boom.

The solution to this was to split that one huge wheel into two much smaller wheels, the outer rims of which are still easily accessible by the person steering, while sitting on the edge of the cockpit, watching the telltales. It made the middle of the cockpit accessible and did not conflict with the mainsail boom.

It adds a second steering wheel system. This adds cost, but also adds some redundancy in case of a steering gear failure of one of the steering wheel systems.

RobbieW

Visit site
That is certainly my "market"! But I thought the reason was mostly that over a certain size of yacht and (modern) width of stern, it is advantageous to steer a yacht which is heeling from the high side otherwise one can hardly see out! (Equivalent to using a tiller extension.)
I'll steer (upwind) from wherever I can see the headsail telltales :) which may be on the low side

Last edited:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
You see, this is why you're the brains of the outfit...:cool:
Goodness no, just far too much time on my hands at the moment.

Saying that a colleague and I did work up a cracking story about another colleague who we car shared with. He was always complaining about having to mow the lawn, but always was on holiday during major grass sporting events, The British Open, Wimbledon that sort of thing. We were convinced he lead a double life as a consultant grass cutter to all these events.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Goodness no, just far too much time on my hands at the moment.

Saying that a colleague and I did work up a cracking story about another colleague who we car shared with. He was always complaining about having to mow the lawn, but always was on holiday during major grass sporting events, The British Open, Wimbledon that sort of thing. We were convinced he lead a double life as a consultant grass cutter to all these events.
Are you sure that not meant for the leaf-blower thread?

I offer a minimalist poem:
Grown; groan.
Mown; moan.