Windsor Brocas, boats untied warning

oldgit

Visit site
Did moor there once after a few years ago in order to drop off family, busy day, loads of other boaters moored nearbye and fair was in full swing. .
Strongish breeze off field but nothing out of the ordinary..Walked up to station.
On return found boat about to depart under its own steam. Mooring pins had pulled out from ground .
No doubt fairground neer-do wells would have been blamed for my not doing a proper job of making sure sufficent pins were embedded deeply enuff in ground.
Not that I doubt the veracity of this account in anyway whatever .
Probably would believe a first hand account but things do tend to grow in the telling and by the time it is tenth hand...........?

Last edited:

Mark26

Visit site
Ah, I’ve got it.
I’ve always just known it as the Eaton Bank ?
Good old Google.
My boat has a draft of 0.9metres, but I always seem to get stuck in there. Stopped using it years ago in favour of the other side.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It's shallow there for quite a long way out. Sometimes you can actually see the ground on that side when going past in the middle of the River.

I keep away from places like Windsor due to the disrepute brought upon it by the castle but if asked for a recommended stop I would say below the bridge on the Eton side EA 24hr mooring with the clangy rings and nuisance residents or above the railway bridge on the windsor side before the leisure centre.

DrakesH

Visit site
Difficult to tell whether the boats were set adrift or just worked loose, with the weather we've had in Eton recently the ground's not in good condition for mooring pins - although as one of the boats was nb Madita which is often seen along this stretch & knows the local moorings, I'm favouring the 'friday night funfair frolics' theory

Old Crusty

Visit site
I'm not a fan of the royals and also I have a slightly unusual sense of humour.

If you do pop into Windsor, wander up Castle Hill and inspect the bottom of the round tower where you will find small crosses carved into the stonework. The crosses mark the spot where the bones of the dead fell after rogues, vagabonds and traitors were condemned to starve to death and to rot in iron cages that had been hung from the ramparts.

You have been warned.