windows and there frames

stevenhumphrey

Visit site
if just pull out the windows on the Pandora to find what look like alum frames are a resin type with one in half!
anyone know where new ones in alum/or resin type can be made to stand up too the pond.

steve /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Noddy

Visit site
I know all about windows having had one stove in off Spain.

What you need is a bit of plywood. CPD used plywood and his windows stayed in place. I didn't and took some damage which contributed to a wet scary time.

(Actually my windows are too big and stormboards was one of the jobs I didn't have time to do.)

Consider a sheet of perspex / acryllic with a large overlap. Lets in more light than plywood and is probably strong enough.

Paul

PacketRat

Visit site
Hi Steve:
Six years ago I replaced my windows with new perspex, bedded in with builder's silicone sealant, and replaced the self tappers with bolts. The perspex is thick - 8 or 9 mm.
Whilst I am happy with the present arrangement for planning a 500 mile trip this year, I'd replace them again for JC10 if I have time. Someone pointed out that polycarbonate is twenty (if I remember correctly) times stronger than perspex. So if I do, I'll use polycarbonate bonded with lots of permanent flexible adhesive (I use Sticks Like Sh*t) and forget about storm boards. The bezels will only serve to hold the windows in place while the adhesive sets, ensure there will be no leaks and improve the appearance.
I'd be comfortable with plywood bezels.
Robin.

stevenhumphrey

Visit site
using polycarbonate which is strong but marks ease so am told, going for plywood has back up with 6 bolts that can turn around to fit plywood over hole
steve

Wansworth

Visit site
My boat had large (windows) so for sea I bolted on inch thick ply with small oblong ports,whilst in port they could be unbolted.It was a bit dark at sea but there was pleanty of light on deck.The storm boards gave ther boat a very seagoing look and what with a vane gear It was hard to assure passersby that I had indeed not been round the Horn!

PacketRat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...very seagoing look... hard to assure passersby that I had indeed not been round the Horn!

[/ QUOTE ]
I like it /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif