Windlass Recommendation 24V, 10mm Chain, Horizontal Gypsy, 12.5m LOA

• Thread starter Deleted member 36384
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36384

Hi Liveaboards,

I am looking to replace the windlass on a Rival 41C (she displaces 10,000 kg unladen). I am asking here as I imagine that reliability in an anchor windlass is something that you guys have good experience on.

As the title states it has to be 24V, 10mm chain (I know there is 10mm and there is 10mm) and it must have a horizontal gypsy on the starboard side to match the hole in the deck.

I look forward to your advice.

Regards,

BlowingOldBoots

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Although my boat and windlass are of very different dimensions and design from yours I have no hesitation in recommending that you look at Maxwell. They do a wide variety of designs and my experience of them is that they are excellent. Now owned by Vetus, so no spares issues. I have had two of them, no problems at all in many anchorings living aboard half the year for the past twelve years.

Before I bought my first Maxwell I was very impressed with Muir but at the time the exchange rate with €Au was firmly against sterling, making them very expensive. If this is no longer the case I would look very seriously at them. I thought their design and materials selection were excellent.

ribrage

Visit site
We recently replaced our windlass and looked at numerous options including vyvs recommendation for the muir we couldn't get the prices any where near the cost of a lofrans.

There has been a lot of negative comments about lofrans but as I understand they have upped their game and we certainly have no complaints about service or quality of product

We bought the windlass and new chain from Richard at Waveline leisure and had good service and feed back whilst waiting delivery to Spain again no complaints from us.

Pic here :

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/blown-away/index.php?show=gallery&aid=33323&pid=697677

Ian

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Has a full time Liveaboard other then three weeks a year and anchor for nine of them months , All I like to add is what every you buy make sure it has a Manual as well as 24v , there will come a time that you wish you able to use the manual .

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Has a full time Liveaboard other then three weeks a year and anchor for nine of them months , All I like to add is what every you buy make sure it has a Manual as well as 24v , there will come a time that you wish you able to use the manual .

That's something I've often thought about Vic. Like the OP I have a horizontal windlass which feeds the chain down through a hole in the deck. This year I persuaded SWMBO to try dropping the chain manually using the brake mechanism built into the gypsy as she can drop a lot of chain (we have 100m) very quickly. She seems to like it and I think will use it manually from now on.

However, I can't see any way to sensibly use it manually to raise the chain. There is an offset winch handle hole in the gypsy and the windlass has a ratchet and pawl mechanism but raising the chain using this would take forever as I only have about 150 degrees of turn each time I crank the handle so the chain only moves 3 or 4 links each time.

Is there a better way of using the windlass in manual mode?

Richard

sailaboutvic

Visit site
That's something I've often thought about Vic. Like the OP I have a horizontal windlass which feeds the chain down through a hole in the deck. This year I persuaded SWMBO to try dropping the chain manually using the brake mechanism built into the gypsy as she can drop a lot of chain (we have 100m) very quickly. She seems to like it and I think will use it manually from now on.

However, I can't see any way to sensibly use it manually to raise the chain. There is an offset winch handle hole in the gypsy and the windlass has a ratchet and pawl mechanism but raising the chain using this would take forever as I only have about 150 degrees of turn each time I crank the handle so the chain only moves 3 or 4 links each time.

Is there a better way of using the windlass in manual mode?

Richard
It don't seen it been put in very well , but if the day comes that the power dies and you need to pull up the anchor with any wind pushing you back even four links at a time is help fully , even if it takes a while to get it up .
ours windless packed up last summer and we had to move because other people where dragging and it was the case of move or end up being dragged with them , 10 mm chain and 50 mts out there was no way I could lift it up with an howling wind , we ended up connection it to the chute halyard and winching it up , if I ever replace mind windless , it will be with one with an manual override .

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
Lofrans Falcon. We have ours on a 19ton gross, 44ft yacht. First one was on 31 years. Now on our second one. Powerful and great to use. Love it

Sybarite

Visit site
Personally I can't help but I did quote a blog and somebody commented that the Muir Cheetah was a first rate windlass:

"Electric anchor windlass is a Muir Cheetah, built in Tasmania. The windlass is run by a solenoid switch, which is wired to the cockpit at well as the foredeck. This is a KEY SAFETY FEATURE and I consider in a necessity. The ability to bring the anchor up quickly, and do so from the cockpit while at the helm, can save the boat. At least once I have been alone and had to do just this as Condesa was about to go on the rocks after dragging anchor."

http://www.pyacht.com/muir-cheetah-windlass.htm

Last edited:

ribrage

Visit site
We left the UK three years ago with no working winless it seized up ten years prior and was not on my "to do" list before we left as it was too damn expensive.

(We also left with no electronic auto pilot - still don't have one we hand steer 99% of the time) the other 1% is spent in the loo, with the sails balanced we don't need to steer.

We hand hauled our chain and anchor from South Coast of UK to the Balearics - after a summer season in Ibiza seeing boats dragging and all kinds of stupid anchoring (by all types of nationalities and with all types of anchor) I needed to be able to retrieve our anchor quicker so bought a new windlass.

I also fitted a remote control and a wander lead , the remote works the length of the boat and the wander lead will come out through the forward hatch if needed.

It has changed our habits slightly , though generally we are still the furthest from the beach in a busy location to avoid the madness.

Roll on October when we can go to anchor on our own and not have to stay up all night dodging people dragging !!

Last edited:

laika

Visit site
I have a Data Hydrolik DZC 401E on a boat about the same size and weight as yours which matches your requirements:
http://www.datahidrolik.com/EN-En/our-product/25/Horizontal%20Windlasses.aspx
It was on the boat when I bought it, presume it's between 11 and 14 years old and although the paint is flaking it works pretty flawlessly. All I've done in 5 years of ownership is occasionally dismantle and grease it, change the gearbox oil and once change the oil level window which was leaking (the new design apparently is better). In doing the latter task though I discovered the value of "buying the same thing as everybody else". Data Hydroilk do have an agent in the UK (in Poole) but they didn't hold spares. A part which cost a few euros ended up costing me about £40 once shipping and the cost of money transfer to turkey was added in.

Tranona

Visit site
Personally I can't help but I did quote a blog and somebody commented that the Muir Cheetah was a first rate windlass:

"Electric anchor windlass is a Muir Cheetah, built in Tasmania. The windlass is run by a solenoid switch, which is wired to the cockpit at well as the foredeck. This is a KEY SAFETY FEATURE and I consider in a necessity. The ability to bring the anchor up quickly, and do so from the cockpit while at the helm, can save the boat. At least once I have been alone and had to do just this as Condesa was about to go on the rocks after dragging anchor."

http://www.pyacht.com/muir-cheetah-windlass.htm

You can say much the same for any modern electric windlass. My old Lofrans have a control on a wander lead coming from the forehatch and a wireless control usually at the helm. the new boat has a Lewmar with a wander lead at the bow and a roving radio remote on a handset that also controls the bow thruster (in addition to the control at the helm).

For safety only one person is allowed to operate the windlass and if operated remotely has to ensure that nobody else goes near the windlass or chain when it is in use.

The Muir does, however have a good reputation for quality and durability, but price is a bit rich for many.

Sybarite

Visit site
You can say much the same for any modern electric windlass. My old Lofrans have a control on a wander lead coming from the forehatch and a wireless control usually at the helm. the new boat has a Lewmar with a wander lead at the bow and a roving radio remote on a handset that also controls the bow thruster (in addition to the control at the helm).

For safety only one person is allowed to operate the windlass and if operated remotely has to ensure that nobody else goes near the windlass or chain when it is in use.

The Muir does, however have a good reputation for quality and durability, but price is a bit rich for many.

As I said I don't have any experience of them. Here's what some others said:

Eeyore

Thanks Vyv, I had noted your original post! A solo, one-legged yottie two boats along from me also has a Maxwell (12?) and he swears by it. In my present location, which has only a small number of boats moored, there are a few Lofrans but the majority are Muir - understandable as most of the boats here are from Oz. I have taken the plunge and ordered the RC10-8. Thanks to all again.

vyv_cox

We were much taken with the Muir, looked like an excellent design in all the right materials. At the time it was considerably more expensive than the Maxwell, which was already rather more than the European alternatives. Don't regret buying the Maxwell at all, although the very original one had a design fault - water in the cavity above the gearbox could not drain away, causing severe corrosion. I replaced ours with the later version that had drain ports. The RC10 has them.