Wind vane - Self steering

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
I know what a knowledgable lot you are, has anyone experience of windvane self steering for a 27' 1970's traditional style sloop?

I am contemplating a longish trip in Flipper (yes I know she is on the market but that was to keep SWMBO happy the other week and if you have looked the price is sooo realistic!) in 2010 and maybe again a couple of years later and although I have 2 tiller pilots I want to look at wind steering to minimise power needs.

Flipper has a longish fin and can sail herself when I bother to balance the sails but the searches I have done have just confused me! Some talk about servo assisted with strings everwhere, other talk of trim tabs whatever they are and some have their own rudders? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif HELP!

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]
Hydrovane. There can be only one. Dogs doodahs!!

[/ QUOTE ]

They are - but also frighteningly expensive. Was quoted £3.6K for one to suit us.
Even used, when one does turn up, they fetch in the region of £2.5K or more.

Athene V30

Visit site
But are they that much better than the rest to warrant the price?

I have looked at an American website Norvane and for Flipper I would be looking at c $2000 so £1000. Presumably VAT on top on import. With the Hydro vane comig in at double and add a bit that is when I got very confused and that is why I was looking for advice.

I had presumed Alan would be keeping his for the 2010 trans Atlantic. He might have a clue why I am looking too!

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
No boat is the same, I suppose.

For us, Hydrovane is the only option.
1. Does not take up the whole transom (as a servo pendulum does)
2. Allows for an "off-centre" installation.
3. Can act as emergency rudder if required.
4. Does not clutter the cockpit with lines to wheel/tiller

MoodySabre

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I had presumed Alan would be keeping his for the 2010 trans Atlantic. He might have a clue why I am looking too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Alan told me that he has got singlehanded long distance out of his system so won't be doing the Atlantic.

He did say that his wind vane wasn't man enough for the job and he used a tiller pilot most of the way. Made by Mr Vane.

Pye_End

Visit site
Try looking at Windpilot site:

Windpilot

There is a guide/booklet that you can download that has quite a bit of information on it. They are also well made units, if you decide to go for this type. Comparible British made version is the Sea Feather, also well made.

Sea Feather

There is at least one boat in Brightlingsea with a Pacific Light on the back if you wish to see it (let me know and I will fish up the boat name).

Edit - this page is worth looking at if you are trying to get your head round the different types:

Versions

Athene V30

Visit site
Thanks - lots of reading now to try and get my head round it all. Not going to get any work done today /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you can remember the name of the boat in B'sea it would be great, but I will have a wander along the pontoons and round the yard anyway. It is one of my favourite alongside pastimes!

michael_w

Visit site
Here's my 2p worth.

On my 30' Albin Ballad I fitted a Monitor servo pendulum gear. With a bit of practice it gave excellent service. As SWMBO and I raced double handed it was very useful. One of our party pieces was to set up the gear then both of us go and hike on the rail for all we were worth. Also, we won our class in a RORC cross channel race in light wind. The vane gear steered and we spinnaker trimmed like demons.

When we sold the Ballad, the Monitor came with us. Just ordered a new set of mounting tubes from the manufacturers and I fitted it to the Contessa 33 for our Atlantic circuit.

The Monitor performed flawlessly on this rather different style of boat. They're not too heavy either, at 50 lb or so; an important consideration as the boat's stern is all too easy to weigh down with stuff.

The Monitor held the boat's speed record, 11.7 kts while surfing faultlessly down a big wave.

I've been shipmates with a Windpilot Pacific on a S&S Swan 40, another pendulum servo gear. Whereas the Monitor had Delrin ball bearings everywhere the Windpilot had mere bushes. As a result, the Windpilot needed at lot more wind and boat speed to perform. Indeed it rapidly acquired the nickname, "The Sulky Hun".

My current boat came fitted with a Hydrovane. Because of ongoing engine problems I haven't sailed her yet, so I can't comment on its performance.

For the smaller boat, the Navik gear form Plastimo is well thought of, though the transom stays look a bit puny.

An important consideration is that no vane gear is "plug 'n play". They all require considerable patience and practice to get the best out of them.

Sorry for waffling on.